This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

The LGTBQ+ community is one that is looked down upon in some parts of today’s society. A few months back, I started to question my sexuality and it scared me. All of the thoughts kept flowing in my head. What if I get hate comments? What if I’m not accepted by my family and friends? What if I never find love in a relationship? What about my future marriage? I did not tell anyone what I was feeling, the only person who knew was my best friend because he was the only person I could trust. He gave me all of his support and was always there for me when I needed him. My family had suspicions, but I was so anxious to tell them, that most days I did not work, I isolated myself in my room. I always had this feeling that I was not myself when it came to my “love life,” but back in June I came to the sudden realization that I was in fact, bisexual.  

June eventually came around and I felt a sense of security because it was pride month. My family still did not know at this point and I wanted to tell them, but I was still too scared. My brothers were always making homophobic comments without even knowing that I was a part of the community. My best friends and I all went to the Pride celebration in downtown Pittsburgh, and it made me feel like I belonged, and in that moment, I knew that I was not doubting my sexuality. I took “coming out” pictures and posted to my Instagram, but before I even did it, I blocked members of my family because I did not want them to see. I hid a bisexual flag in my room for months and even after Pride, I hid my outfit that I wore in my closet because I was so full of anxiety.

Finally, July came around, and my parents were still bugging me about how I was lying to them about who I was. I always had this thought in my head that I could not do this anymore, but then the day came. It was a Tuesday evening, and we were just finishing up eating dinner. My parents were going on and on, saying how they know I had some secret that they need to know. They just wanted to know who I was, but I did not want them to know. However, I finally snapped at them, and said “Fine, I like both girls and boys.” It took them a few weeks, but they finally accepted me for who I was. Today, I live my life in full confidence that I am a strong, independent, bisexual woman. The months that I was struggling, to the day I finally decided to be honest with myself and my family, is a moment that I will never forget.  

Emily Beyer is a writer at the Her Campus Chapter at IUP. Beyond Her Campus, Emily works at a local elementary schools after school program and oversees a group of K-2 graders. She has been to many professional development conferences to further her studies in education. Emily is a senior at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania majoring in Early Childhood & Special Education. In her free time, Emily loves to write, shop, watch Grey's Anatomy, and listen to podcasts. Also, she enjoys going to the gym and working out as a distraction from her studies.