Monique Redman—Music Sensation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Monique Redman, a junior graduating in Spring 2018, is a Music Education major.  She is from Jeannette, Pennsylvania and her friends and family call her Moe, Moe Moe, or Sassy Oreo.  Moe decided to enroll at Indiana University of Pennsylvania after her high school band director recommended the school and because of the stong music program IUP offers.

Monique participates in multiple organizations within the IUP community.  She is one of the IUP Marching Band Drum Majors and the Crimson Chords Vice President.  Also, she is a member of Delta Omicron Historian which is a professional music fraternity, Pennsylvania Collegiate Music Education Association, the Student Chapter of the National Association of Teachers of Singing, the National Society of Leadership and Success, Golden Key International Honor Society, and she actively participates in intermural basketball.

The most rewarding part of being a member of these organizations is that they allow Monique to build relationships with others on a professional and social level as well as enabling her to network.  Others in the organizations have similar interests which gives her the chance to build skills that will aid in her future career.  After graduation, Monique aspires to become a high school choir or band teacher.  Once she has had teaching experience, she would like to return to school to receive higher degrees.

Her advice to fellow students is “to be yourself no matter what.  Get involved and try new things because it is better to look back on something and say that you tried it instead of regretting that you did not do it at all.”  When Monique is not busy being a music sensation, she enjoys going to the gym, playing basketball, hanging out with friends in addition to practicing singing, piano, or whatever instrument that she is learning at the time.  An interesting fact about Moe is that she has a huge sock collection.

Monique’s favorite quote is “Love me or hate me.  I promise it won’t make or break me” from Lil Wayne.  Monique credits her mom as being her biggest influence throughout life, “My mother is definitely my biggest influence because she is the strongest women I know.  She is so supportive in whatever I choose to do and tries to help me through everything.  She taught me to strive to be positive no matter what the situation is.”

Everyone meet Miss Monique Redman! You go girl!

Hellooo! I am your average teenage girl besides all of the quirkiness and energy I carry along with me :) I am a freshman at IUP and is looking to change my major to business management and exercise science!