Meninism: A Movement of Oppression and Mockery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Recently, a newly coined term “meninist” has popped up across Facebook, Twitter, Yik Yak, and other social media sites, and feminist have started raging against this term and what it supposedly stands for. According to Urban Dictionary, “Meninism is a mockery of feminism and proves that we [ as a society] can’t request equality without white men making everything about themselves.” “Oppressed” white men have this notion that feminism is a threat to their masculinity and their place in society.

The Twitter account @MeninistTweet has over 715,000 followers, and almost all of the tweets echo strong dislike and hatred for women. Even though the account claims that it’s a “parody, obviously sarcastic” it doesn’t mean that the tweets aren’t toxic to feminism’s goal of equality. So far, over 800 “#Meninist” merchandise such as t-shirts and hats, have been sold. Some of them have even been spotted on IUP’s campus as of recently.

The original idea of meninism did not first seem so negative towards feminism. In fact, it supported feminism’s most fundamental goals. Originally, this new movement was created to help support women’s rights, as well as support the rights of all genders and sexual orientations, not just mens’. But the tone that meninist movement now advertises is essentially mocking  feminism. Martin Daubney at The Telegraph manages to explain after whining, at length, about Feminism:

“Strip away the jock-strap humour and some meninists are talking about the issues that matter: male suicide, violence against men, disproportionate male prison sentences for the same crime, fathers’ rights and the perceived injustices of divorce courts. Where it goes from here is key, for to survive it must be pro-man and not be dismissed as anti-woman.

So in some sense, there is potential for good in meninism. The issues brought up by Daubney have yet to catch the attention of the media of the public, and these issue should be addressed. If these angry, immature guys could get over their shallow hatred of women, perhaps some real accomplishments can occur.