This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Titan is my 3-year-old Pitbull we rescued May 4, 2019. The Breeder who had Titan when he was born gave him to a bad family. His first family took apart in dogfighting. Titan was with this family until he was 6months old. Due to his sweet nature, he wouldn’t fight, so his owners would hurt him. They stuck pins in his ears to try to make his ears stick up instead of cropping them. He had sores in his ears up to the time we got him due to this. He also has scars down his legs from him.

At 6 months Titan was taken in by a loving family who gave him a chance. He became socialized with many foster dogs. He was also raised with 2 toddlers who loved him. He finally had a chance to thrive. Eventually, his new family started struggling financially. His owner had to work more and more. Titan began stuck in a cage for most of the day all week long. Titan suffers from separation anxiety, so he began acting out. His owner no longer wanted him.

My family was searching for a new addition while surfing Facebook. I found the post his owner made looking to rehome him. If we didn’t take him the day we did he was going to the shelter. Statistically, Pitbull’s who go to shelters end up staying there for their entire life or get euthanized. We met his owner the next day at Kittanning Walmart. When we brought him home he was so excited to have people who finally paid attention to him.

Titan was never taught how to act and was never trained. He never got a chance to be a true puppy. When we first got him, he acted out a lot. We had to potty train him and teach him right from wrong. We just needed to give him a true chance. Titan may still chew stuff up every once and a while, but he has come a long way. He loves to cuddle and play. He also loves babies, kids and his best friend Athena our 9-month-old golden doodle. If I wouldn’t have found him, he may not even be alive today or may still be in some shelter. Some dogs just need to be given a chance.

Hi, my name is Christyn Beichner. I am a sophomore at Indiana University of Pennsylvania in Hospitality Management.