Kim Kardashian West Is Going to Be a Lawyer: And Here’s Why It’s Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Businesswoman. Celebrity. Lawyer?

In an interview with Vogue, Kim Kardashian West announced that she will be spending the next four years studying to become a lawyer.

According to Vogue, Kim began an apprenticeship at a law firm in San Francisco last year with the goal of taking the bar exam in 2022.

The news was met with mixed reactions.

Although Kim was praised for her dedication and hard work so far, she was also criticized for her lack of education as a college dropout and obvious privilege.

“I want people to understand that there is nothing that should limit your pursuit of your dreams, and the accomplishment of new goals,” Kim said in a follow-up post on Instagram. She also confirmed that she had dropped out of college with 75 credits completed. California, however, does not require an individual to possess an undergraduate degree in order to take the bar exam.

Despite sounding like the synopsis of Legally Blonde, Kim’s ambition is actually pretty admirable. Studying law is no easy task and as a mother of three, Kim’s got a lot on her plate. Her other endeavors include starring in the upcoming season of Keeping Up with the Kardashians and her own cosmetics line, KKW Beauty.

Kim has her sights set pretty high. In a highly patriarchal society strong, inspirational women are becoming increasingly important, especially for young girls growing up. ​

Kim Kardashian West might not be everyone’s number one role model, but she is certainly making strides in the right direction for women and girls everywhere.

Michaela Shaw was the vice president and senior editor of the Her Campus chapter at Indiana University of Pennsylvania from 2020-2022. During her time as an undergraduate student, Michaela was also a member of Active Minds, Alpha Kappa Delta, the National Society for Leadership and Success, Sociology Club, and Psi Chi. She also volunteered with Hopeful Hearts, a grief support group for children and families. After completing an internship at Allegheny County Children, Youth and Families, she graduated in August with a dual baccalaureate in Psychology and Sociology and a minor in Child and Adult Advocacy Studies. She likes video games, reading, rainy days, vinyl records, Thai food, and spending time with her cat, Ron.