Kate Marodi–IUP ColorGuard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

This week, I had the pleasure of interviewing our own social media coordinator and writer Kate Marodi for our Her Campus Profile. 

Where are you from?

• Bentleyville, PA. It’s about an hour and a half away from IUP in southwestern Pennsylvania

What is your class standing?

• Sophomore

What is your major?

• Undeclared Health and Human Services

What inspired you to choose this major?

• Well since I don’t have a major, I can’t really answer this question. I’m a pretty indecisive person so choosing a major that could possibly determine what I do with the rest of my life stresses me out. I hope to have an idea of what I want to do by the Fall semester.

What do you do in your spare time?

• Take naps, hangout with my friends, photography, listen to 60s/70s music, read (currently in the process of reading the Harry Potter series), watch Friends and Reba

What inspired you to join Her Campus?

• I had heard of Her Campus prior to joining but I never knew exactly what it was. One day as I was leaving the library, I saw a flyer hanging up saying they were looking for new members, specifically a photographer. Since I had recently become interested in photography, I went to the meeting thinking I would just be taking pictures but they asked me to write articles, too. I was a little nervous at first since I wasn’t confident in my writing skills but writing articles made me step out of my comfort zone.

What is your favorite thing about being involved in Her Campus?

• I have enjoyed getting to know all the girls.

What are you interested in doing after college?

• Since I don’t have a major yet, it’s kind of hard to say exactly what I want to do after college. However, I’ve always pictured myself in a hospital or an office helping people. On top of a normal day job, my dream is to open up an ice cream shop one day.

Who is your favorite artist?

• Simon and Garfunkel. I never get tired of their music because of simple and timeless it is.

What else are you involved in? Why did you pick IUP?

• IUP marching band (color guard). Being in the marching band allowed me to meet so many people before classes started which helped with the transition to college. I would highly recommend joining the marching band to anyone who marched in high school.

What is your advice for IUP students?

• Take care of yourself. College is a stressful time both academically and socially so take time to relax and do things that you enjoy. Become involved and meet new people with the same interests as you. IUP offers all different kinds of clubs so there is more than likely something you’ll like. Moving away from home and becoming independent from your family is a major change. Honestly, I have never done laundry before coming to college. I had to call my mom the first time I washed my clothes to make sure I was doing it right. You’ll have your ups and downs but you have to know it’ll all be worth it in the end.
Hi everyone! My name is Bonnie and I am a junior fashion merchandising major at IUP. My hobbies include watching scandal and gossip girl,eating popcorn, spending time in coffee shops,and going shopping at TJ Maxx.I love to write and talk about interesting topics.