Wellness

I’m Thinking About Getting Another Tattoo, Maybe Two

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

“Doctors can’t have tattoos.”

“It’s trashy.”

“You wouldn’t be respected.”

“You already have two why do you need more.”

“You have to cover them, people will see.”

I have been thinking about getting a tattoo. I have two already and they both have significant meanings to them. My memaw died of cancer a few years ago and she mean’t more than she knew to me. Cancer is a bitch. So, for pink day, i got a heart ribbon on my arm (the top in the front so you can see when my arm is normally by my side). Not only did the proceeds go to cancer research but i had a tattoo that would remind me that my memaw will be with me forever. Especially when I walk, she wouldv’e loved to see that. I got another tattoo on my left side of my chest in my grandma, mamas handwriting. My mama is one of my favorite people. She will do and has done everything for me. I love her so much and i cannot imagine life without her. Her name is Rose as well as my middle name so its a rose with the words as the stem. She’s always with my heart. 

I want to get another but bigger, these ones are smaller. I don’t want massive for two reasons. One being that I am a weeny and my pain tolerance is small. Two being that doctors are held to these standards that honestly should not be a thing in the modern world but people look down on doctors with tattoos. I want people to respect and care about me in my professional life so i make sure they are in places that can be covered if necessary. I was thinking about what i could get that means something to me and it hit me, Labyrinth. My memaw used to play the labyrinth for me when i was little, we’d watch it together all of the time. Not only that, Alyson is also obssessed with it too as the first times we hung out together we watched it together. It would have a double meaning one for my late grandma but also for Alyson. Even if we decide to not be friends anymore, I will always appreciate her because of how she gave me happiness my freahman year when she was all I had. I am forever grateful and will always remember that. 

So, the tattoo idea: If you’ve seen labyrinth you know that this girl names Sarah asks the goblin king to take her brother because hes “ruining her life”, so he does and then she has to get him back so she goes though the labyrinth with the help of others she finds along the way and gets him back before the time runs out. Its iconic. When the golbin king has these glass balls he shows almost as a crystal ball to see her progress and to show her things as well. SO. The glass ball as the main piece. Fingers holding it and curled up from below. The words “you remind me of the babe” or “dance magic dance” from the one song from the movie. I think it would be awesome and important to me. I would get it on my right upper thigh so you’d only see it if i wore a swimsuit or short shorts.

I would also like to get a small meaningless or meaningful one whatever it ends up being. Super small, like 1-2 inches. A key, a small flower, or a sailboat. Simple. Could be more friendship or just for nothing. That would be my final one though. I would put it on my foot or ankle most liekly. I’ve always wanted a finger tattoo but i will be a doctor and yeah the reputation is a factor but also the countless times i will wash my hands, it’ll fade dramatically. 

Alicia is an aspiring doctor. She intends to graduate from IUP in 2022 and attend Medical School directly after to become a medical doctor specializing in pediatrics. She enjoys watching movies, hanging with friends, and community service. She is a dog lover and has a pug names Porky that makes her smile on her worst days. Family is everything to her as you probably have read.