This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Being single on Valentine’s Day (used to) SUCK! With all of the commercials and content online, it can put a huge damper on anyone’s mood. I used to “hate” Valentine’s Day because I was so jealous of how in love everyone looked. I wanted to be in love with someone so I could enjoy Valentine’s Day. I had debated about just hooking up with someone weeks before just so I have something constant and secure come February 14th. I never actually followed through. It took me a long time to realize that Valentine’s Day isn’t really that deep. 

I have been on a journey of self-love for the past year. I have been through hell and back and I knew that no one could truly love me if I didn’t love myself. So I’ve been open and honest about my struggles with anyone who asks. I’ve been taking up yoga and journaling and eating healthy and exercise. I’ve been actively trying to make my life better for not only myself but for everyone else around me. As we get into this Valentine’s season, I have realized that I don’t need a day where the person who loves me showers me with attention and love. It’s okay for me to spend the day watching cheesy rom-coms and eating ice cream. It’s not okay, however, for me to be so sad and upset that I don’t have someone on my arm to do this exact thing with. 

It’s okay to be alone on this day. Truly this day is just like any other day of the year, but society makes it this huge deal. It really isn’t. It’s another of classes, work, homework, and hanging with my friends. So this Valentine’s Day, I’m going to embrace being alone! I’m going to do exactly what I would do on any other day. Because honestly, being alone is not lonely.