But I Hate Going to the Doctor’s: Healthy Eating Solutions at IUP to Save You the Visit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away! We have all heard this expression before, but is there any truth to it? According to Dr. Lisa Hark, director of the Nutrition Education and Prevention Program at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, “ healthy food and lifestyle choices boost your immune system, and that can prevent you from coming down with colds and flu. The key is not waiting until you get sick to make these changes; you need to revamp your diet and lifestyle before the cold and flu bugs get to you.”

A great way to start this change is to begin to eat healthy. As a college student, sometimes it is quite difficult to eat something that is actually good for you living on such a tight budget. We have all heard of the Ramen noodle diet. Honestly between books and tuition alone, there is not much spending money left for nutritious foods; however, there are some smart options on campus that will not put a whole in your budget.

For instance, Sprouts and Einstein Brothers are two great choices for snacks or even meals. Sprouts provides a variety of salads made to fit your appetite. You can add any toppings to your salad, so essentially you create your own healthy meal. At Einstein Brothers, there are numerous sandwich options with a variety of different breads from wheat to multigrain. You can also get a pizza bagel with the same great taste as a normal pizza but without the grease. There are several smart options available all around campus.

All three of the IUP dining facilities offer a variety of fruits, vegetables, and even yogurt. It is also very affordable to eat on campus. For six or seven dollars, you can have a healthy meal, as opposed to making a McDonald’s run. It is about the same amount of money at each place, but you end up with a healthier choice of foods. With flu season just around the corner, it is a good time to start eating healthier. Colds spread so quickly around campus because everyone is in close contact with each other. Plus it does not help that the majority of college students do not get the proper amount of sleep each night. It is kind of hard to with homework and one or two part-time jobs or activities, so if we can build up our immune systems by a slight change in diet, it would be very beneficial.

So next time you decide to go out and eat, grab a salad instead of a hamburger or pizza. It may actually prevent you from a doctor’s visit.

Sources:
http://nutrition.about.com/od/foodfun/a/flu_foods.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Apples.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/c36.0.403.403/p403x403/404019…

Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.