How Working At Walt Disney World Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Starting The Journey

Moving hours and hours away from home was difficult but beyond exciting.  I had been accepted into the Disney College Program and was getting to live in the sunshine state while working at the happiest place on earth for the next four months.  I was nervous but so ready to become more independent and responsible.  Being so far from home was hard but it really helped me find myself (as cliche as that may sound).  I was becoming more of the person I wanted to be and the whole experience was absolutely life changing. 

Working For THE Mouse

Getting to walk into the Magic Kingdom nearly every day was enough to make the strange hours, silly costumes, and big crowds totally worth it.  Creating magic for people of all ages is such a crucial part of working for the Walt Disney Company and it was honestly my favorite part.  I feel that I became so much more patient and understanding of the needs of others from everyday interactions.  It is shocking how much you bond with people who you have never met within the few minutes you get to speak to them.  Working in the parks didn’t feel like work at all and I think that may have been my favorite part.

My Fellow Cast Members

The coworkers I met and spent so many hours with had such an impact on my experience and my overall view on so many things.  Being surrounded by people from all around the world was amazing and eye-opening.  I learned to appreciate other parts of the world without even having to travel to them, all because I got to spend so much time with my coworkers.  I have made friends that I will stay in contact with for the rest of my life and for that I am so grateful.  For example, my roommate that I got paired with will forever be someone that I can relate to in almost every way along with my close-knit group of friends that I luckily found.  Plus, I will always have places to stay if I ever decide to travel!

Outdoor Vending

My “role” was called Outdoor Vending in the Magic Kingdom.  This consisted of popping TONS of popcorn, wearing a bunch of different adorable (yet strange) costumes, and creating magic moments for the guests.  I couldn’t have asked for a better role to be given.  I have a background in food service so this was perfect for me and the friends I made truly made it so much better.  Being at work was enjoyable and never felt like actual work, which was shocking.  I adored being in the park and getting to create amazing experiences for the guests and my fellow cast members.

Turning Into A Pumpkin

Unfortunately, my College Program got cut short and turned into a pumpkin far before its time.  Devastated was an understatement compared to the way I felt when we were told the news.  I was only able to work my dream job for a short six weeks before I had to make the drive back to good old Pennsylvania to be quarantined.  With a broken heart, I accepted that I would never find a job as fun and life-changing as this one.  My heart is still heavy as I think of the unbelievable experience I was lucky enough to have, but I am beyond thankful for that time in my life.

My Happily Ever After

Although I no longer work for Mickey Mouse, I will always be a Disney World Cast Member at heart.  I hope to go back someday and continue to make magic at the happiest place on earth.  I had learned so many little secrets that will stay with me forever and I am so grateful to the people who made my experience what it was.  I never imagined that I would be such a changed person just from being employed by Walt Disney World.  I wouldn’t change a single thing about my program, even if it was cut short.  I feel forever changed in so many ways and I can’t wait to find my Happily Ever After.

Cat Mom. Journalism Major. HUGE Harry Styles Fan. True Crime Lover.