Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Keep a Healthy Relationship While Away at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Communicate

Having open communication and talking things out when you feel something is not right. It’s okay to talk about something when you aren’t sure. This also goes along with problem solving and trust.

Trust

For a relationship to work, you must trust each other. Sometimes that can be hard, but you need to for a relationship to work.

Problem Solve

Problems always arise in relationships but usually they aren’t a big deal. But you must have this skill so as a couple you don’t fight all the time.

Consider their side of things

In a relationship, you are going to have some disagreements. You don’t have to make these a big deal and cause a fight over them. Sometimes you just have to back away and see their side of the story because it’s usually different than yours.

Make time for each other

No matter where you are or how busy you are a simple phone call or FaceTime is enough just a few minutes out of your day just to talk about anything you want can make a relationship last longer.

If you’re not comfortable with something talk it out

Even though people are in a relationship sometimes others feel ready to do something before others are ready. It’s okay to feel that way. You need to talk through it and explain that to them. If they aren’t okay with waiting for something, then maybe you shouldn’t be with that person. Someone shouldn’t force you to do something you don’t want to do.

Heather is Disability Services Major with a minor in Educational Psychology. Some of her favorite things to do are spending time with her pets back at home and shopping with her friends. In the future she hopes to be teaching a middle school special education classroom.