This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

It’s that time of year again and everyone is buying chicks. Chicks do make great pets, but they are a lot of responsibility. Proper care is very important and could mean life or death for your babies. If you are thinking about adopting chicks there are some things you need to know:

1. Proper diet is key to healthy chicks 

Chicks require more than just chicken starter. Chicks also need chicken grit since they won’t be eating bugs for protein outside. Food should always be available. Clean food dishes every day to prevent chicks from getting sick. Water should always be clean. Change their water twice a day and be sure to clean their dishes once a day. Chicks don’t need “treats”, however, you can introduce small amounts of vegetables after week six. Always make sure you research what your pets can have before giving them items that they do not normally eat. Human food, such as bread and other cooked meals, should never be fed to your chickens.

2. Make a Brooder Box

A brooder box is simply a place for your chickens to live until they are big and strong enough to stay outside. You will need a tub large enough for the number of chicks you own. Your chicks will need enough room to run around. You will also need a heat lamp and thermometer to ensure your chicks will be warm enough. Clean bedding is also very important.

3. Chicks must stay clean

If you don’t keep your chicks clean, it could result in death. You must make sure your chick’s bottoms remain feces free. If you don’t it will lead to infection then death.

4. Buy a coop

When buying a coop, make sure to check how many chickens it is meant for. Chickens need room so they don’t trample each other. You should also make a run for your chicken attached to your coop if you don’t want them to be free ranged. The coop itself is not enough room for your chickens to live a happy and healthy life.

Hi, my name is Christyn Beichner. I am a sophomore at Indiana University of Pennsylvania in Hospitality Management.