How to Master Scheduling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Scheduling for Spring semester is right around the corner and can determine how your semester will go before it even gets here. Here are 5 tips to scheduling successfully!

1. See your advisor ASAP.

Even if your registration date isn’t until November, seeing your advisor early on can help you find alternatives if the classes you want aren’t available and it guarantees that your advisor won’t be squeezing you in last minute.

2. Find a course catalog.

Course catalogs are priceless when it comes to scheduling and finding out what classes are offered when. You may even be able to find a link to it online.

3. Use RateMyProfessor.

If you’ve never used this website, it is a lifesaver. Having a horrible professor can turn a great class into a nightmare. However, be wary of ratings that seem to target the professor directly instead of how the course was overall.

4. Plan ahead for books.

Some classes definitely require books while others do not. Try to avoid classes that all require several books because spending $500+ on books is not how you want to start the semester.

5. Remember drop/add period.

If you do end up with a class that you aren’t a fan of remember that there is still a chance you could switch into a different section or a different course overall. Don’t give up hope that you won’t be able to change your schedule.

Scheduling can be an extremely stressful time. Remember to explore as many options as possible and talk to any upperclassmen friends you may have. Happy scheduling!

All gifs courtesy of giphy.com

Danielle Jones is from Jeannette, Pennsylvania--a small town with big pride. As an English, Writing major with a minor is Business Administration she loves words and truly believes in their power. She is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at IUP. In her free time, Danielle enjoys reading, writing, and all things Shonda Rhimes.