Life > Experiences

How I Would Rate the Food I Had On My Trip to Harvard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Over this past weekend, a few of the girls from my Her Campus chapter and I attended the 19th Annual Intercollegiate Business Convention, which was hosted by Harvard University in Boston, Massachusetts.

On our way there (and on the way back), we stopped at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. While we were there, we walked around to sight see and stopped to eat. We ended up at a pizza place called ‘Yorkside Pizza’. I had one of the best pizzas I’ve had in my entire life. We got a large pizza, half cheese and half pepperoni. It had the perfect amount of toppings on it, and still had a cheese pull. The sauce wasn’t too sweet, but also wasn’t too tomato-y. The crust was the perfect thickness, and soft and crunchy at the same time. We also stopped here on the way back because we couldn’t stop thinking about it. On a 1 to 10 scale, I’d give this place an 15/10.

We then drove to Boston, walked around, and checked into our hotel. Traffic was so bad and we were all so sleepy so we just ordered in from a place called ‘Avellino’s Restaurant and Catering’. I got their chicken Alfredo with broccoli and chocolate cake. Now, my favorite food is Alfredo so I would say I’m very good at judging if an Alfredo is good or not. This meal was mediocre in my opinion. The broccoli was undercooked, the noodles were a bit overcooked, the chicken didn’t have much flavor, and the Alfredo sauce was lacking flavor and extremely runny. The chocolate cake was better, but not by much. It was sort of dry, and I was sort of hoping for a buttercream icing. The icing/glaze just tasted like Hersheys syrup, but it wasn’t bad. On a 1 to 10 scale, I’d give the meal a 6/10.

Saturday morning, we went to a place called ‘Union Square Donuts’ in Somerville, Massachusetts, which is right outside of Boston. The people working were so kind and helpful, and the place itself was so cutesy with how it was decorate; it felt homey. I got a Belgium chocolate donut, which is essentially a donut with a very dark chocolate, and I shared an apple cider cinnamon roll with one of the other girls, and mulled (steamed) apple cider. Everything was so incredibly good and bursting with flavor. I want to highlight the apple cider cinnamon roll. This cinnamon roll was SO GOOD, and I don’t usually like cinnamon rolls. It was so tasty and you got every flavor in every bite. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it since. I would give this place a 100/10.

The last place we went was ‘Le Macaron French Pastries of Boston’. They had a wide variety of macarons, as well as other pastries and ice cream. I got salted caramel macarons, and they were so so good. Perfectly made, and just the right amount of filled. I was hoping that there would’ve been salted caramel in the middle of the filling, but I can’t really complain because those are just my hopes. Anyways, I’d give this place an 8/10; mainly because they were good but it was more on the pricier side.

Jordan McDonald is the social media chair at the Her Campus at the IUP chapter. She oversees the social media team and makes sure the team reaches the requirements for the media. Beyond Her Campus, Jordan has done an externship at French Lick Resort for her degree in Baking and Pastry Arts. She is also a member of Eta Sigma Delta, which is a honor society for business students. She is junior at IUP studying Hospitality Management. On top of school and clubs she is in, she works part time. In her free time, Jordan enjoys going to concerts and spending time with her loved ones and her two cats, Pumpkin and Boots. She is a Gilmore Girls fanatic and is a big follower of Harry Styles and Taylor Swift. Jordan encourages everyone to treat others with kindness because you never know what someone is going through.