How To Get Through the Mid-Semester Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Wearing Thin? 

It is that time of the semester. The middle, the dragging time, the time when everyone is ready for spring break. All you really want to do is watch Netflix until 2 A.M. and just pretend that paper due on Friday isn’t actually due. Sometimes going to class, work, writing papers, and going to meetings can wear you down to the core. Knowing your boundaries is one thing, but knowing to give yourself a break is another story.

Remembering yourself is important, especially when stress can hit you hard. Stressful nights are when bubble baths are needed, but that is hard to find when you live in the dorm. So here are 5 dorm-efficient and simple ways to have “me” time:

1. Meditation/relaxation period

There is an app called Songza that has hundreds of playlists, including ones like beach waves, rain, walk in the park and rainforest. I personally love to put the rain one on and read, or sit on my bed and just take a 5 minute “time-out.” A simple break to clear your mind can make a great difference.

2. Nap time

Scheduling a nap time into your super busy schedule can be tough. Even a half-hour can make you feel better. Famous people like Edison, Churchill, and Eleanor Roosevelt were daily nappers, so the evidence speaks for itself.

3. Treat Yo Self

In college everyone is on a budget, but a couple dollars can go a long way. A fun magazine, Ben and Jerry’s, and some “Netflix and chill” can be a great treat. If you really wanna splurge, then buy yourself a new shirt, a purse, or maybe a new pair of shoes. Places like Goodwill, Walmart, and T. J. Maxx are perfect if you’re on a budget. Treat yo self for that good grade you got on your midterm–or just for surviving it.

4. Dance break

Stand in front of the mirror, put on your favorite song, and dance ’til your heart’s desire (or ’til you lose your breath). Make faces in the mirror, make a fool of yourself, and laugh at yourself. Laugh until it hurts. Give yourself a natural high and remember that you got this.

5. Take a physical break.

Make a whole day where you don’t do anything. No homework, schedules, meetings, or sticky notes. Just take a day for Netflix, sleep, and take-out. A whole day! Set aside a Friday (if you can) or even a Saturday (that way you don’t have to worry about classes) just for yourself. Call it your mental health day, because you’re going to need a brain when finals come.

So recharge your batteries this weekend, and don’t forget the ice cream! 

Hi, I am Katherine. I am a student at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I am a member of the IUP English Equestrian team, Sigma Tau Delta, and a Writer for IUP's HER Campus. I love to read, (books of all genres) write, knit, and travel (I visited England this summer). I am also a British Royal Family Fan. My top music favorites are Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Grace Potter, and Fleetwood Mac. My guilty pleasure is late night HPTV. Please check out my personal blogs-http://hiddeninthemargins.blogspot.com/ and http://wanderlustbound14.blogspot.com/