How do you make IUP your own? Third Prize Winner Announced!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Her Campus IUP would like to thank Adam Harring for his submission to our Homecoming Writing Contest! How does Adam make IUP his own? Read on to find out!

When it comes to any university, big or small, the challenge of how to integrate oneself within the student body is always prevalent. For myself, I have worked to make IUP “my own” by finding different niches across campus that best align with my abilities and interests.

But, I haven’t always been this autonomous machine that knew exactly how to get involved. When look back on my college selection process, I recall my decision coming down to two front-runners: IUP and University of Maryland (College Park). One school small and rural, while the other large and located in a central metropolitan area. I remember talking with my friends and family and making the obligatory pros and cons chart to help me in my decision. But something I remember my dad telling me during this time was that no matter where I went to school, I would find a way to downsize my experience. Let me explain.

By getting involved with different organizations and activities, you no longer feel as alienated as a member of a larger institution. With each club or organization you become involved with, you further imbed yourself among the student body on a more personal level and smaller scale. So upon arriving to IUP freshman year, I started to try and find these smaller niches while also being a student and member of the bigger cog that is IUP.

For me, that started when the honors college accepted my application. As a member of the honors college, I quickly found myself engaged with the same group of people on a daily basis which helped me to integrate myself into IUP from day one. In addition, I became involved with: SPJ, PRSSA, Relay for Life, intramurals, tutoring at the American Language Institute, and frequenting the gym. Each one of these organizations and activities has introduced me to a new experience and new people; all of which have helped me to make IUP my own and my experience here much more personalized to my interests.   

Congratulations on your third prize, Adam!

I am currently an English Education student with a Spanish minor at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania.  I work as a Community Assistant in one of the residence halls and volunteer as a tutor for students learning English as a second language.  My dream job is that of a secondary bilingual education teacher.  Some of my favorite past times include watching movies, drinking coffee, reading, and hanging out with my friends here at IUP.I am also the president of Her Campus IUP.  The opportunity to work with the talented writers, photographers, and designers that I do makes the position enjoyable and rewarding.  We work as a team to bring readers the best possible articles and events.