Divacup Hero R1
Divacup Hero R1
her campus media
Wellness > Health

How The Divacup Changed My Period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Before I purchased this little rubber miracle a couple of years ago, I’d probably be terrified of this thing that saves you money on period products and somehow isn’t extremely uncomfortable when inserted.  But let me let you in on a little secret… IT ACTUALLY WORKS.  And don’t you worry!  I’ll give you the inside scoop on all the ups and downs of this product that was seemingly sent from heaven.

The Purchase:

I had somehow come across a YouTube video of a girl RAVING about the DivaCup and how it was definitely worth the money.  So for the next few days, I did my own research about the risks and read review after review on this thing.  I eventually came to the conclusion that I would force my boyfriend to come with me to Walmart to pick one up.  The price surprised me a little at first, but honestly when you think of how much you spend on normal period products, it actually saves you money in the long run.  It’s also recyclable! 

My First Wear:

Now, I definitely went about it the wrong way the first time I used my cup.  I had work super early in the morning and I thought “let me just pop this thing in and go!”  By the time I had to empty it, I was stuck at work and I couldn’t get the cup out.  I was panicking and couldn’t understand what I had done wrong.  I read all the instructions to avoid this exact situation, but it really wasn’t my fault at the end of the day.  

Practice Makes Perfect:

Getting used to the cup takes a little bit of time, as does anything.  Putting it in and taking it out gets easier the more you use it, and it’s smooth sailing from then on.  By now, I’ve been using this product for years and I’ve loved every second of it.  Sure, you get a little up close and personal with your period when emptying the cup, but if that doesn’t bother you you’ll love it as a replacement for pads and tampons.  

The Bottom Line:

My periods have been SO easy to handle since I started using the DivaCup.  No more worrying about if you brought extra pads or tampons in your purse or ruining another expensive pair of underwear.  The cup even comes with a cute sanitary (and discreet) carrying case to take with you on the go.  I would highly recommend this menstrual cup to anyone that is tired of tampons and pads and wants a more eco-friendly way of dealing with their cycle.  

Cat Mom. Journalism Major. HUGE Harry Styles Fan. True Crime Lover.