Life > Experiences

Her Campus IUP in a Members Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

I am a sophomore here at IUP and next semester I’ll be a junior. Wow, saying that terrifies me. Anyways, I joined Her Campus the spring semester of my freshman year. It was the best decision I’ve made and here’s why: Her Campus is an online woman’s magazine written by women for women of the college-age range. You know that because you are reading it right now. At the time I joined I had no idea. See, IUP has a website called “Crimson Connect” where new students are encouraged to look for groups to join. What they don’t tell you is Crimson Connect is so outdated that nobody even cares about it enough to update it. All we knew was Her Campus was a woman’s group (but all-inclusive). In the fall, I was in marching band which took up most of my time. So, I emailed the girl in charge of Her Campus and she was like, “Great! We would love to have you come to our meeting.” So we went. When I got there, a girl who I had known from color guard (who happened to be my section leader) was the president. I was so shocked that she was there and I knew at least one person other than my friend that joined me. So, Kate introduced herself and started off with icebreakers then we talked about the stuff we would be doing that semester. We had NO IDEA what we were getting into. The next week we made our Her Campus accounts and started submitting articles. Mine were rough to start with and I had to browse other Her Campus pages for inspiration but once I got the hang of it, I liked it.

joaquin Phoenix speech
golden globes from giphy

Last semester (fall of my sophomore year) the social media/marketing position opened up and I applied for it. I had applied to be an editor but I knew when I submitted it, I wasn’t going to get it because I was terrible lol. However, I did get the social media/marketing one! I was so excited to actually be a part of the group and contribute more than writing which is also very important. I love doing social media and making flyers is right up my alley. We did so many fun events last semester that I helped set up and actually coordinated. They were so fun! We hosted radio bingo and I coordinated our paint n sip. Both events had a huge turnout and were so much fun for everyone. Unfortunately, Kate graduated last semester but I am so happy that Gaby our vice president moved up to president this semester, which leads me to my next venture. I wanted to be vice president so I applied and was voted in. I am so excited to help Gaby out this semester and then take over next semester. I am hoping to train someone else to do social media with me this semester and then take over next semester when we transition. Her Campus has given me so much. It has given me many opportunities to be involved. It has given me great friendships that I love dearly. It has given me a place to feel happy on campus where I can be myself and not be judged. This group of girls impacted me so positively I wish everyone would give us a chance to see how great it is. Once you get a taste of what we’re about, you’ll be so happy you did. I love these ladies!

Gif of Patrick from Spongebob saying I love you.
Giphy

Alicia is an aspiring doctor. She intends to graduate from IUP in 2022 and attend Medical School directly after to become a medical doctor specializing in pediatrics. She enjoys watching movies, hanging with friends, and community service. She is a dog lover and has a pug names Porky that makes her smile on her worst days. Family is everything to her as you probably have read.