Helping Your Siblings During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Being home can be a stressful time for many, especially for children. While many enjoy the idea of not going to school, it is a huge change for the family dynamic. It also takes away from how much they are learning. 

Maybe you do not have kids, but you might have younger brothers and sisters. The important thing is that they do not treat all of this like an extra vacation. They do not have to make this time up, but the amount of time out of the classroom can be detrimental to how they comprehend what they learn. It can take them a step back.

Make sure you help keep their brain active through some of the following steps.

Find alternative work that is educational

There are many websites that provide work for different grades. These websites can provide work in different classes to help your sibling keep up with what they were learning. That way your child is able to keep up comprehension. It can also help provide time together for you all as you will now be working as their teacher.

Some websites to find learning assignments include Century, CircleTime and ABCMouse. Take note of which websites are free and which ones require payment plans.

Find educational project ideas

Being home can be boring for children, but also for parents and college students. While children should keep up with writing assignments and math equations, education should also include some fun. By finding experiments or projects, anyone can enjoy learning along with their children through hands-on creations. 

There are websites that provide science experiments, but this is also a good time to get creative. Think about the questions you have always had. Everyone has thoughts that ask “What would happen if I did this?” What better time to put those thoughts to the test than during your time at home?

When in doubt- flash cards!

Flash cards really can help to process information. This great study tool is used by students of any age, including at the college level. Flash cards help keep the mind on tact through memorization and critical thinking.

Flash cards also do not require the internet. Simply take the schoolwork your child previously did and use them as a guide to the cards you create. Spend at least an hour a day with your child on the cards. If needed, use incentives to reward them for getting all of the cards correct.

Even if the quarantine is a stressful change, it is not a time to loaf around. Keeping your sibling’s mind active will be beneficial for them once school starts up again. 

Helping them study will also create a time that you are able to work closely with them and spend quality time with them that can be difficult during the regular school year.

A double Major in Communications Media and Journalism, passion for radio and for art