Amelia Kramer-Coffee Shop Friend Date
Amelia Kramer-Coffee Shop Friend Date
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Having Your Sister As Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Growing up with an older sister was a blessing and a curse, but mostly a blessing.

My sister is four years older than me and when I was younger that was made very clear.  We would get into fights, ignore each other, and honestly, I didn’t feel like we were even sisters.  Once I started high school, things began to change.  I could now relate to the things my sister had gone through and go to her for advice.  I could finally understand why relating to me was so hard.  High school is such a crazy and emotional time and being best friends with your little sister is the least of your worries.  Once I could really put myself in her shoes, we became closer than ever.

I look back on the past few years and realize that I couldn’t have gotten through high school without her, or my first few years of college for that matter.  She is my rock and my built-in best friend.  She keeps me grounded and is always there when I need her, even though we have the occasional fight.  It would be impossible to imagine a world where I had to grow up without her.  I wouldn’t have anyone to look up to in the way I do her.  I would have to navigate through all the rough times in my life without someone to tell me that everything will be okay.

Having an older sister is the greatest blessing in my life.  I will always have someone to watch movies with and who shares the same addiction to Dunkin’ coffee as I do.  I will have a forever best friend that will tell me when I’m being irrational and that she is proud of me, even when I feel like I’m not doing enough.  My sister will always act like my second mother and try to tell me what to do, but what else are sisters for?  

Even though she still treats me like I’m a little baby sometimes, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Cat Mom. Journalism Major. HUGE Harry Styles Fan. True Crime Lover.