Have a Fun (and Safe!) Road Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

School’s just about out for the summer, whoo hoo! That means beaches, bon fires, friends, family and ROAD TRIPS! (oh, and probably some work too.) It seems as though when asked around, most collegiettes say that they would love to travel if they had the money for it. It seems as though the fastest and cheapest way to have a fun filled vacation is to take a road trip, which always sounds enjoyable.

Going on a road trip with some of your closest friends will be sure to be an adventure. Sometimes though, we get so caught up in the fun of it all that we forget it is just as important to have a safe trip as it is to have a wild journey. Don’t worry; HC IUP is here to give you three easy ways to have a fun and safe trip that you and your friends will always remember.

Choose Your Friends Wisely!  

Many people may overlook the importance of choosing who exactly goes with you on this road trip. Selecting which friends you travel with is just as important as any other part of the trip. No one wants to travel with that friend that talks too much and you don’t want to get stuck taking a long drive with a friend who won’t want to do anything fun either. When thinking about who you are traveling with, think of whom you have the best conversations with. A good amount of your time will be spent in your car before you finally reach your destination, so make sure you’re with someone who will be able to keep up with your energy. Also, make sure you leave your friends who love drama at home. Having a party pooper on the road with you will only make you miserable.

Where Are You Going? 

It seems logical enough that before you venture out onto the open road, you select a point of destination. And make that point of destination very specific. Simply thinking, “Let’s go to Florida!” won’t cut it. Before you even load up the car, you need to do some research on where it is you’ll be going. Its way too easy these days to look up the safety of any area in the country to even make an excuse not to do it. Not only does researching a specific area help you as far as safety precautions are concerned, but it also can help you come up with activities you and your group can do while you’re in certain towns. Do yourself a favor, double check your location!

Stay Equipped! 

It seems a little silly to tell anyone in this generation to make sure they have their phones when going on vacation, but MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR PHONE!  And your cell phone isn’t the only thing you’ll need for this trip. Of course you’ll need to be beach ready as well. Pack up your swimsuit, sunglasses, sandals, and sunscreen. Also, being that you will be riding in a car for hours on end, create tons of mixtapes for the ride. Nothing is more fun than riding down the highway singing songs with your girls at the top of your lungs.

Deciding to take an adventure across the country is definitely something that interests many college students. It can be a great experience if you actually put time into the preparation stage. Just remember to stay safe, have fun and take plenty of pictures!  

Photos courtesy of:

coolist.com

favim.com

oraclefox.com