This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner, collegiettes! My personal favorite holiday, Halloween is a time to dress up, eat lots of candy, and have a really rad time. You can become anything you want on this magical night of tricks and treats! Well… almost anything. Some of the Halloween costumes on the market are not advisable choices for your spooky night out. Halloween costumes typically fall into three categories: sexy, funny, and really insensitive. Why this third category exists is beyond me, but it does, so let’s talk about it. If you don’t want to run the risk of being the jerk at your Halloween festivities, consider stearing clear of these costumes:

1. Caitlyn Jenner

I don’t even want to argue with you over the offensiveness of this costume because honestly, the only reason you need to not wear this is that no one will find it funny at this point. Everyone who would’ve found this costume to be a real knee-slapper has moved on to being hateful towards something else. You should move on, too.

2. An “Indian” costume

We already misrepresent Native Americans on at least two other holidays, so this is a bit of overkill. You can afford to avoid this costume and its implications.

3. Any type of blackface

I thought this had been established as a cultural taboo but here we are so let’s say it loud for the people in the back: BLACKFACE IS A NO.

Obviously, these are just a few of the top offenders. Any other costumes that fall within the same vein as these should be avoided as well. Use your best discretion this Halloween season and consider what kinds of messages you’re sending with your apparel.

Hey, lovelies! My name is Alyssa and I'm an English major at IUP's Cook Honors College! My interests include reading, writing (duh!), art of all kinds, and music. If it's your style, feel free to follow me on Instagram and/or Twitter! @at_the_h3lm