This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

This article will be about the main differences I have found between college at the undergraduate and graduate levels. These have been determined through my experience with graduate students in my program and the professors who teach both those pursuing a bachelor’s degree and those earning their master’s degree. Enjoy!

Workload 

From what I have heard and seen, the workload in grad school, regardless of the program, is much larger. There is not only a lot of required reading, but a great deal of home and in-class work. Your performance in graduate school is most definitely about what you put in. You have to be willing to give time and energy!

Work difficulty

To be expected, the work in grad school is going to be tough. There’s a lot of material to cover in a short time, and students are expected to become experts in difficult fields. This, too, calls for great dedication from students.

Free time 

Grad school means a lot less free time. In college at the undergraduate level, students often find themselves with time to work in paid positions, study, and spend time with their families and friends. Graduate school, however, is very demanding. In fact, students who have done it recommend not having jobs if possible, to avoid falling behind in course material, draining yourself of energy, and not meeting school expectations. 

Length of school 

Unlike at the undergraduate level where a degree is earned in four years, graduate school is usually only two years in length. Some programs over accelerated programs, making the length of them less than the traditional two years. For example, the accelerated program I plan to apply for would mean I will be in grad school for one year officially, as I would take grad classes in the senior year of my undergraduate degree. So, while that one or two years may be daunting, at least it’s only half of what you’ve already done! 

Expectations 

As you can tell from above, the expectations in graduate school are far greater than those for students who are learning at the undergraduate level. Students are expected to dedicate the great majority of their time and energy to the school, master difficult concepts and apply them, maintain positive, professional, and beneficial relationships with professors and other professionals, earn outstanding grades, and think about the future in terms of schooling and career paths.

Maybe your field requires you to earn a Master’s degree or higher. Or, maybe it is just an option, but a beneficial one, or one you would like to choose for personal reasons. Whatever it is, above are some key differences I have noticed between the undergraduate and graduate levels of schooling, just from being a sophomore at a school that teaches graduate students in the same building. I hope you found this article beneficial! 

Thank you for reading! 

I’m Sarah Miller, a sophomore at Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a major in Speech and Language Pathology. I’m going on my third semester as a Her Campus member. I joined my fall semester of my freshman year because I was in need of a women’s group and figured what better than one dedicated to connection and unity as much as this one! I’ve enjoyed interacting with women all over this country’s campuses. This magazine has kept me in tune with the interests, dilemmas, and goals of my generation— a sense of connection I’ve loved having and will continue to experience for the remainder of my time at IUP. Writing has long been a passion of mine. I see so much value in written words, especially because I’ve learned from every article I’ve read on this website. I hope that by the time I conclude my time at IUP, I will have contributed to the sense of unity and empowerment fostered through our posts to this magazine. I’m thankful to be part of this experience and look forward to striving for my goal through my publications.