Generous Soul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

“What we have done for ourselves alone die with us, what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal,” a famous quote from Albert Pike. Let’s take a minute to talk about being kind. Most people I know wish that they were in a position to give more and confront needs, meanwhile others are content with their generosity level. There are health benefits that come along with being kind; physical and mental. Have you ever heard of a helper’s high? Well it is real. A helper’s high is the powerful physical feelings people experience when directly helping others; random acts of kindness result in the release of endorphins. Endorphins are the hormones that are responsible for happiness and live in our brain. The two main components of being a kind and generous individual are that it reduces stress and attracts others more easily.

The reasoning behind the crazy idea that having a generous spirit reduces stress is because it allows us to stop focusing on ourselves for some time. Instead of worrying about what bill you have to pay next, or whatever problem you are dealing with, you can focus on helping those who are in need. Once we put our focus onto someone else and worry about confronting their needs, levels of blood pressure have the ability to lower. Generous people are known to be happier, healthier and more satisfied with life compared to those who do not have an interest in helping others. This is due to greater self-esteem and a lesser percentage of experiencing depression because we can think less negatively of ourselves.

Being generous comes with being compassionate, helpful and loving. If you are someone that carries those traits you will make individuals want to be around you more. Think about it, would you rather be around a person who is nonstop complaining and brings negativity or an individual who has high self-esteem, is always cheerful and has a loving personality? Being generous creates stronger relationships, by allowing trust, respect and positivity to exist. I believe that it is important to set a good example. Be kind and generous to others and you will start a cycle with those around you. Generosity is contagious and soon you will notice that another person is completing random acts of kindness, too. Being generous and confronting needs does not necessarily mean that you need to go around giving money to those who are in need, any little act counts! Just by listening to a friend, volunteering at a women’s shelter or giving guidance to somebody that you know is in need of it counts as being generous, and it will definitely make you feel more fulfilled. Volunteering is simple and everyone in this world has at least some time throughout the month to complete community service. If you do not know where to begin, start with the people around you. Pay attention to family and friends around you and always look for opportunities on how to be a helping hand. Actions are important; you cannot tell a friend or family member that you love them but you are never available to be there for them or just be a listening ear. Less talk and more show! Along with starting with the people around you, start with yourself as well. Embrace gratitude and make a list of the things in your life for which you are grateful for. Instead of focusing on the things that you do not have and wish you did, focus on what you already possess and how blessed you are. Once you allow your mind to think that way all of the time, you will notice how good you have it compared to some individuals who are less fortunate. Be generous, be kind and do good to others so others will do good to you!

Graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a B.S in Child Development and Family Relations in May 2018. I have a passion for working with the youth, making a difference in the community, and having a positive impact on individual's lives. "A good woman, trying to be a better woman, while inspiring and helping the next woman."