Fall Leaves—Four Things To Do With Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Who doesn’t love Autumn? I think most agree that one of its best elements is the beautiful, crunchy, fall leaves that cover the green, then later brown ground, acting as the perfect decoration and contributor to the Fall vibe we love. Have you ever been admiring their beauty and wondered if you could use your unique touch to make something—anything, from it? I think Fall is very successful at electing creativity from its lovers. Use that passion to engage in one or all four of the Festive Fall Activities listed below. 

Trace & Paint

Upon taking a closer look at the ground’s orange, red, yellow, and brown sprinkles, you’ll notice that they’re almost always unique in shape as a result of the tree they can come, the journey they had to the ground, and how much life they have left when you find them. Grab a few leaves — as many as you’d like — and bring them to a table where you can lay them out, compare each to another, and appreciate the features of them all. Once your creative juices are flowing, grab paper and a pencil to begin sketching or tracing the leaves. This can be a great way to relax the mind while learning more about the naturalistic shapes of things. When you’re satisfied, consider filling the shape, the area around it, or both with various water colors. These could resemble the environment in which the leaves belong, or completely contrast it! That’s part of the fun—this creation is yours! I bet you’ll be surprised at how beautiful the result will be.

Hand Turkeys!

Need an activity to do with the kiddos? Engage them in nature, art work, and the season by having them collect leaves and make hand turkeys! This activity is great for many reasons. First, it’s one that can be done with one child or many. Second, it fosters teamwork, interaction, and following multiple steps to meet a goal.Thirdly, it’ll yield not only a lovely family memory, but also a piece of memorabilia perfect for the front of the fridge. Last but not least, tracing hands, gluing leaves, and placing googly eyes with kids is just a lot of fun. Try it for yourself to reap all of the benefits!

Decomposable Wreath 

Maybe you’re artistic —really artistic. Or maybe you’re feeling creative, not in the mood to simply buy a wreath, or a desire to lessen your negative environmental footprint by using more biodegradable products. Whatever your motive, try using Fall leaves to create a decomposable, all-natural wreath — the OGs of seasonal decor! This can be done by first collecting bendy sticks, pretty leaves, and grass to tie knots. Flowers, little pumpkins, and pine cones could be pieces of your unique, one-with-nature creation. Exercise creativity and patience, and make a perfect gift for you or a loved one! P.S—YouTube has tutorials on how to make wreaths!

The O.G. — Pile of Fun

Though it may be more like a pile of dirt and bugs, an old-fashioned pile made from the pretty leaves lying around your yard nonetheless makes for a fun adventure! Adults can reminisce and children can form fundamental memories by working together to compromise a nice collection of beautiful leaves for the sole purpose of running, jumping, and crunching in them! This experience has always been refreshing, regardless of my age. 

I know we’ve all noticed the leaves turning from bright red, yellow, and orange to shades of brown. Before this season completes its run, take advantage of the beauty it offers by interacting with its leaves to create something fun, memorable, and beautiful, even if it just a memory!

I’m Sarah Miller, a sophomore at Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a major in Speech and Language Pathology. I’m going on my third semester as a Her Campus member. I joined my fall semester of my freshman year because I was in need of a women’s group and figured what better than one dedicated to connection and unity as much as this one! I’ve enjoyed interacting with women all over this country’s campuses. This magazine has kept me in tune with the interests, dilemmas, and goals of my generation— a sense of connection I’ve loved having and will continue to experience for the remainder of my time at IUP. Writing has long been a passion of mine. I see so much value in written words, especially because I’ve learned from every article I’ve read on this website. I hope that by the time I conclude my time at IUP, I will have contributed to the sense of unity and empowerment fostered through our posts to this magazine. I’m thankful to be part of this experience and look forward to striving for my goal through my publications.