This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Since the election, the nation has been a rollercoaster of events that we just can’t seem to get off of. From Trump’s election race, filled with degrading comments about almost everyone who isn’t a white male, to Kavanaugh getting confirmed to be the ninth Supreme Court justice, some control needs to come back in the government. The most important thing to do is go out and vote. However, you can also spread your opinions on social media and what a better way to make a statement than with your Halloween costume. Here are some powerful women you should consider for the end of this October:

1. Ruth Bader Ginsburg

(Gif from giphy.com)

Only the second female Supreme Court justice appointed, Ruth has been fighting for women’s rights for decades. She helped co-found the Women’s Rights Law Reporter in 1970, which was the first US law journal to exclusively focus on women’s rights. Two years later she co-founded the Women’s Rights Project at the American Civil Liberties Union. Since she was appointed by Bill Clinton in 1993, she has been continuing to fight for women’s rights, but now from the highest court seat in the US.

2. Emma Watson

(Gif from giphy.com)

Though well known for her portrayal of Hermione in the film adaptation of the Harry Potter books, she has rebranded herself in the past couple of years as a hardworking feminist looking to use her platform to change America. With her speeches at the UN and the Women’s March, she continues to speak out in support of women and equality. Her work with the UN reminds us all that feminism isn’t just a fight for women, and it’s open for men to join as well.

3. Rosie the Riveter

(Gif from giphy.com)

Though it is kind of cliche, she is the biggest fictional symbol of female empowerment. Originally spread in WWII, she became the symbol of women’s efforts while men were overseas. Women took the jobs of men that had been enlisted to fight in the war and they were very capable at doing so. So much in fact, that when the men came back and assumed that they had their old jobs back, the women were outraged. Thus came Rosie, starting women’s fight for rights and equality.

4. Hillary Clinton

(Gif from giphy.com)

Despite her run with the emails, Clinton has fought for women’s rights since the 70’s, becoming the first female chair of the Legal Services Corporation in 1978. From there, she gave her famous “women’s rights are human rights” speech in 1995 to running an inspiring presidential campaign in 2016, where she fought until the very end. She is the only First Lady to ever run for office and she was the first woman senator of New York.

(Gif from giphy.com)

These are just a few of the amazing women out there that have and are continuing to fight for women’s rights and the betterment of our country. Though they are not the most “fun” of Halloween costumes, it definitely makes a statement and gets people talking. Whatever you choose, have fun with it!

Gabrielle Bonnar is a current undergrad student at IUP who enjoys writing for HerCampus. She enjoys writing articles as a way to express her opinions and experiences throughout her life. Also, this acts as an outlet for her to write about new interests and ideas that she might not be able to express as well through her other artistic mediums. Being a member of Her Campus has strenghtened her abilities as a writer and she is excited to see where this portfolio of pieces takes her in the future. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter at @typical_guby.