Elizabeth Ambrose – Freshman Music Education Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Meet Elizabeth Ambrose, a freshman at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Elizabeth, who goes by Lizi, is from Eighty-Four, Pennsylvania in Somerset Township.

Lizi chose IUP because of how the faculty and students valued her as a potential student. Although Lizi was hoping to attend a more urban school, she saw IUP as a good fit for her since it is a small town, but always has something going on.

Another deciding factor for Lizi was IUP’s outstanding music program. She is currently a Music Education major with piano as her primary instrument, along with minors in both psychology and the organ.

Lizi believes that choosing Music Education as her major was a no brainer.  “I’m a music nerd so I might as well embrace it.”

Music has always played a huge role in Lizi’s life. In fact, she can sing and play the piano, organ, clarinet, saxophone, percussion, and is in the process of learning to play the guitar. For her, music serves as not only a hobby, but also as a way to help express her positive and negative emotions.

In third grade, she learned to play the piano and instantly fell in love. As Lizi became more skilled, she started teaching piano and choir her junior year of high school.  She knew at that moment she wanted to spend her life teaching her passion to future generations of children.

Lizi plans to continue her education after graduation from IUP. She hopes to attend a school such as Temple University or New York University to obtain a master’s degree in Music Education or Music Therapy, a combination of music and psychology. She would then like to go even further to receive a doctorate degree in order to become a professor.

When asked who her favorite musician was, Lizi did not hesitate. “Hands down Paul McCartney. I love that man. I shouldn’t even have to explain why.”

Lizi is very much involved on campus. She is a member of the University Women’s Choir and the IUP marching band, Pennsylvania Collegiate Music Educators Association, Kappa Delta Pi the Honors Education Society, and a Sister of Sigma Alpha Iota.

“Despite how shy you are, it’s important to throw yourself out there. It’s rare that people will come to you.”

For Lizi, her fall and spring semester posed different challenges. In the fall, Lizi, like all freshmen, had to adjust to the new environment at IUP and being away from  home. This semester, Lizi feels more comfortable and has become more involved, but she is currently balancing a 22 credit course load.

“I don’t think you can ever find a true balance. You can make sacrifices but there is always something you’ll have to work on.”

As a vegetarian, Lizi has also had some difficulties eating a balanced diet while at college. Lizi hopes in the future that IUP will add more options for those with more specific diets.  She plans to eventually transition to veganism once she begins buying her own groceries and making food in her dorm.

This summer, Lizi is working at First United Methodist Church in Monongahela, Pennsylvania, where she will be playing the organ and possibly becoming their choir director. She was also hired as a babysitter during the weekdays to gain experience working with children.

Overall, Lizi loves IUP and the IUP student body.

“Everyone is so positive, friendly, and humble. You can say hi to anyone and they’ll say hi back.”

So if you see Lizi on campus, be sure to say hi!

Kate is a senior Communications Media major at Indiana University of Pennsylvania from Bentleyville, Pennsylvania. She enjoys spending time with her family and friends, taking long naps, eating ice cream with lots of sprinkles, photography, musicals, walking her dog, and listening to 60s/70s music.