jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Doing Things Just for Recognition Isn’t Cool

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

As a sophomore in college, I have held many positions in clubs, organizations, and other things in high school to now. I’ve been involved in a lot of community service, whether it be connected to the organization or just on my own. I can tell you that I’ve seen and met a lot of “ugly”  people if you know what I mean. Anyways, the number one thing I cannot stand is when somebody does community service or tries to take an officer position in an organization just for the recognition.

PC: IUP Honors

Picture, you are running for an officer in high school and there are other kids running against you. You have campaigned, given the best ideas, and promise to dedicate your heart into the title. Then, the kid who handed out candy won the position because they bought votes and the rest of the school year is crappy because they didn’t care about the role that they played but instead just wanted the title. Yeah, can’t relate pff.

PC: togetherwecope.org

It’s not always that situation though. There have been some officers in my organizations that actually cared and we got a bunch done including ending the year great. I have also experienced people that have not done anything in their title and the events we plan fall through or there aren’t even events being planned period.

Also! Community service is when people give back to their community. Why do people make it about doing something for something in return? Doing a SERVICE for your community should be something that you can get back to begin with. I don’t know about you but I love the feeling of helping others. I’ve seen first-hand the sight of somebody volunteering for something just because they “have to” or they “needed community service hours”. This is honestly disgusting.

PC: Quickmeme.com

I hate living in a world where everybody thinks that they should do things just to have recognition. The Greek life at our school has to maintain a certain number of community service hours, but most of the ones who go to events to give back complain because they “have to get hours”, they don’t want to. I hate the fact that somebody with innovative and creative ideas doesn’t get voted for because they weren’t as cool as their opponent who didn’t even care about the position anyways. If you need recognition to make yourself feel better, you need more than just a title.

Alicia is an aspiring doctor. She intends to graduate from IUP in 2022 and attend Medical School directly after to become a medical doctor specializing in pediatrics. She enjoys watching movies, hanging with friends, and community service. She is a dog lover and has a pug names Porky that makes her smile on her worst days. Family is everything to her as you probably have read.