This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Whether it’s a look, a comment, or just a feeling, most people can tell when someone doesn’t like them. If you’re outgoing or just a nice person, it can be hard to accept that not everyone is going to be in love with you. But that’s just how people are- we want to be loved and accepted by everyone for our own validation. So, when we meet someone we don’t exactly vibe with or doesn’t want to vibe with us, you probably ask yourself- what’s wrong with me?

Recently, I dealt with a difficult situation that I wasn’t even sure how I ended up in. Having dealt with unnecessary drama in middle school and high school, whether I was in the right or the wrong (I was not always the greatest friend), I feel like I’ve learned a lot from my past. Even if it feels justified in the moment, I always come to regret saying bad things about other people regardless of whether my friends agreed or not. It will in one way or another come back to bite you and can only make you look bad. Learning from my mistakes has helped me to bite my tongue many times in these past semesters when I was frustrated with other peoples’ lack of motivation and manners. Despite me giving my best and trying to be open to everyone, one person I am required to work with often seems to have an issue with me.

I’ve been in only a few situations because of this person where I was uncomfortable about the obvious rude remarks aimed at myself, but those few times have been enough to bother me. At first, I really struggled with releasing my anxiety about it because I hate confrontation very much. I wracked my brain trying to think of something I’d done to offend them until I came to the conclusion that I hadn’t done anything. I barely speak with this person and when I do try to be friendly I’m typically ignored. I’ve offered them help with work multiple times and been denied.

I had to accept there’s nothing I can do about it but to keep being myself. I can go out of my way to be kind to this person all I want, but we aren’t going to be best friends (nor do I want to be). I know that I’m doing right by others, myself, and my work. For whatever reason this person doesn’t like me is not my problem- I will let it go because they cannot. It bothers them, but I will not let it bother me. I’ve learned from my past mistakes of being the cause of drama and being on the receiving end of it- both sides get hurt. So, maybe this person hasn’t learned their lesson and all I can do is be kind.

Madison is a nursing major with a drive to make a positive impact on others. As head CC, Madison collaborates with her co-CC to make the IUP chapter fun, welcoming, and creative! Her Campus has opened the door for opportunity and friendship for Madison that she hopes to share with others.