The Cons of Having a Birthday on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

The Cons of Having a Birthday on a Valentine’s Day

Birthdays that are on the same day as other big events can be tricky. Some people were born on the same date as their parents or family member, others were born on a major holiday. Nonetheless, we were born with a specific purpose and should embrace the lives we have. We should cherish these important dates, but for some of us, we have the misfortune of having a birthday that falls on them too. Even though these dates should also be appreciated, sometimes the weight of having a birthday on a holiday is not as great as many would think. Trust me, I would know since my birthday is on Valentine’s Day – let’s tackle this, for just a moment.

Separating your Birthday and the Holiday:

This is one of the major problems of having a birthday on a holiday. Sometimes it’s hard to separate your birthday and the holiday because most people are concerned about the holiday and not your birthday. Now this is not meant to sound selfish, but it is your birthday and should be treated as such. This a problem that I struggle with: having my birthday on Valentine’s Day, I learned that sometimes you can be overlooked. Friends can’t celebrate with you because they are out with their significant others and some people just forget! I have received numerous of texts where they say “Happy Valentine’s Day,” but forget to say “Happy Birthday.” 

Being Lonely 2x’s:

Being single on Valentine’s Day or your birthday can be really heartbreaking, but when your birthday is on Valentine’s Day – it’s just equals double the lonliness. What that means is that you feel bad that you’re single on your birthday and on Valentine’s Day – it’s a cruel fate, I tell you! People joke by saying that I am lucky because I can get two sets of gifts – well not really. I have a friend who’s birthday is on Valentine’s Day as well and she agrees with me whole-heartedly – sometimes you just want to forget it’s Valentine’s Day and simply celebrate your birthday. Thank God for Kleenex, Ben&Jerry’s Ice Cream,  excessively cheap chocolate and teddy bears, and sweatshirts. Oh! Let’s not forget Netflix.

“Anti-Valentine’s Day”:

Now, this does not bother me but it does bothers others whose birthdays are also on Valentine’s Day! I understand the idea of “Anti-Valentine’s Day” or “Ban Valentine’s Day”. For those who don’t know what this is – it’s an idea that was developed mostly for women who are single or who don’t have a Valentine, which is to avoid being alone and having people who are in the same boat with them to spend the day with. I think this a very cute idea and I love how it makes others feel better about being single, because sometimes the idea of it can be hard. However, some people who have a birthday on this holiday, feel some sort of disrespect or offense from this ideas. There are some who take high pride in having their birthday on this holiday and want it to be respected as any other. I, on the other hand, say continue this idea because this can bring people together and relieve that loneliness that they’re feeling.  

Having your birthday on Valentine’s Day can be a drag sometimes, trust me I know – been doing it for 20 years, but I love my birthday and the whole idea of being with someone special that you really care about. I love being a “Valentine’s Day Baby” and I hope for those who have a birthday on a holiday or just any special/specific date, that they take great pride in it because we are here today and that is a major blessing in itself. 

Hey everyone! I'm a senior at Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a History, Pre-Law major and Enlgish minor. I hope you all are enjoying my articles and those of my fellow writers. Follow me on twitter or instagram - jessicavalenx3. Let me know what you would to see on HerCampus and we will always try to accomodate. Thanks and enjoy!