Casey Kelly, News Editor for The Penn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

“As soon as I took my first journalism class, I knew that’s where I belonged,” said junior, and News Editor of The Penn, Casey Kelly.

Casey entered her freshman year as a communications media major, but quickly changed her major to journalism after rediscovering her passion for writing.

“It’s funny, in elementary school I always said I wanted to be a journalist, but never thought it would actually happen.”

Starting out as a staff writer for The Penn her freshman year, Casey worked her way up to lead news writer her sophomore year. Now she is currently the News Editor, where she is responsible for laying out about 6 pages of the newspaper every Monday and Thursday night, assigning stories to writers, and finding things going on around Indiana and on campus.

Casey has found her home in the journalism department, as it has given her many opportunities to further her future. She was one of 13 journalism students chosen to do the Strategic Visioning Project for the Health and Human Services building. In addition to that, last year Casey received the Emily Fabini scholarship, which is awarded to one journalism student each year.

Casey wrote a feature article for class about her guitar teacher, Ren Williams, which was published in her hometown’s newspaper, The York Daily Record. She has been playing guitar and writing music since the age of 12.

“A couple years ago I recorded a demo with 6 tracks. My dad knew a guy with a recording studio in his hometown, so he gave us a hefty discount.”

Casey has an account on Soundcloud where she has about 20 songs on her page. Although she hasn’t updated it in about two years, since she is busy with school, Casey still picks up her guitar a couple times a week, playing covers and her own music.

“I feel I’m not really in a position to give advice to aspiring writers, as I am still learning myself,” she said.

“I just feel that writing is something that can’t really be taught. Sure, you can get better at it, but it’s just one of those things where you either have it or you don’t.”

My name is Mary Romeo, and I'm a junior at Indiana University of Pennsylvania majoring in communications media, and minoring in journalism. I have a passion for reading and writing. Not only do I contribute to HerCampus but I am also the lead writer for the school newspaper, The Penn. I also write and perform my own segments on the IUP-TV show, Witticism, where I give my best (sarcastic) advice to those in need. You may also see as an anchor for the IUP NewsCenter. I hope to one day write and possibly make a 30 second appearance in film or television.