This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

You may see her walking around campus supporting the Pirates, Steelers, or Pens.  Pittsburgh Girl Olivia McBride is a senior at IUP.  At 22 years old, Olivia has her eyes on the prize.  Olivia, originally a math education major at IUP decided to changer her major to English after she realized writing was what she was really passionate about.  “I realized that I needed to do something I was passionate about.  I always wanted to become a writer and I realized it was going to take me real experiences with writing at IUP, before I thought about pursuing it professionally.”

Eventually, Olivia would like to become a novelist and publish her own book.  While this may be in her future, she is fully aware of the hard work and dedication that it will take her to get to that point.  Majoring in English with a minor in math, Olivia has it all going on.  “After graduation, I will probably get a job for a newspaper or a job in the business field until I can begin writing a book.  I can even put my math minor to use and work in the business field.”

While Olivia is looking forward to graduation, there will be many things that she will miss about IUP, including: “The campus size, it’s a good size,  not being too big or too small.  If it was too small, it would feel like high school all over again.”  Also, this Her Campus Celeb has created many wonderful relationships with professors and new found friends.   “IUP allows you to have a great relationship with your professors.  I feel close with them, but on a professional level.”

Although Olivia is very busy with her classes, she is an active member of Sigma Tau Delta, the International English Honors Society.  “The fraternity allows you to become close with peers.  We have had movie nights and more.  It allows you to meet people that are interested in the same things as you.”

In addition to Sigma Tau Delta, Olivia has many hobbies, such as: knitting and crocheting.  “I also enjoy many active things, like softball and baseball.”  To relieve stress, Olivia enjoys long walks, hiking or anything outdoors in the summer months.  Relieving stress is very important to Olivia, especially being the oldest sister of three younger sisters.  Starting at age 12 through 20, it is important to Olivia to be a good role model for her sisters.  “I try and give them advice, but sometimes they think I’m being too motherly or overbearing.  I’m just trying to instill what’s right and wrong to them.”

As the spring semester is sure to go by quickly, Olivia looks back and feels confident that she made the right choice changing her major to chase her dreams, even if it was challenging.  By her side the whole time has been her father, who has supported her the whole way.  “He is a very positive person, even with all of the ups and downs he has gone through in his life; he has stayed positive.”   This is one of the many reasons he is Olivia’s inspiration.

If you see this down to earth girl on campus, feel free to say hello.  Maybe down the road, we will see this name once again on the cover of a novel, but until then, I am excited to have been able to introduce this week’s Her Campus Celebrity.

Hello everyone! My name is Kristi Quinn and I am an English Education major with a Journalism minor at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I love fashion, nutrition and fitness, and staying busy.