This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

The thought of going to college and being alone was terrifying to me at first. I was going to go to college in another state, but I didn’t think my mental health could handle it. So, I applied here at IUP and got accepted. I didn’t always live with my best friend. We lived in the same dorm building but with different people. After we could move off campus we did, and we signed a lease for an apartment with each other. That was the best decision that I ever made. Living with my best friend is amazing. My mom told me that it could make our relationship stronger or break it altogether. It made it stronger than ever and I’m so thankful for that. I don’t think I could function without her. But I also think that she couldn’t function without me.

We are from the same hometown. We danced at the same dance school and were together every night at dance. We went to the same school, but Brittney was a grade above me. I missed the cut-off date by a few days because of my birthday, so technically I should have been in her grade. We even work at the same place. Really the only alone time that we have away from each other is when we go home but even then, we are always hanging out. Customers at our work think we are sisters. We always tell them, yes and they are fully convinced.  

Throughout schooling, she had thought about changing her major and she eventually did to mine. Having class with her is so fun and gets us both through the long night classes. Being able to work together through the coursework and compare thoughts is very beneficial for both of us. A large portion of our college career was at home and online during COVID, so we missed out on living together and experiencing classes together. I feel like my college experience going to in-person classes was cut very short. Right now, we are both seniors and getting ready to do our internships in the fall. We are going to be graduating after that and moving on in life and getting big girl jobs. That means that I’m not going to live with my best friend, my soulmate, my sister, maybe sometimes even my mother, my shopping partner, and mostly the person that keeps me sane in life. That makes me feel like I’m losing a piece of myself and honestly terrifies me.

My best friend is also a part of Her Campus her name is Brittney Williams, go check her articles out!

https://www.hercampus.com/author/ljnziup-edu/

Heather is Disability Services Major with a minor in Educational Psychology. Some of her favorite things to do are spending time with her pets back at home and shopping with her friends. In the future she hopes to be teaching a middle school special education classroom.