Apple Cider is Better Than Pumpkin Spice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Fall drinks are an important part of the season. Possibly one of the most important parts. However, there seems to be some terrible and crazy idea that pumpkin spice lattes are the best of these drinks. I can say with confidence that that is terribly wrong.

Apple cider is the real star of the season.

Now, listen, I know I am usually on the wrong side of popularity when it comes to food and drinks opinions. (I absolutely adore candy corn, for example.) But, this time, I know for a fact I am not alone in my opinion. I asked others on the Her Campus team and they all agreed with me.

Why is apple cider so great though?

For starters, it actually tastes like apples. Apple juice has nothing on apple cider in the context of flavor. Does pumpkin spice taste like real pumpkins? No, I do not ever recall any pumpkin foods tasting the same. Pumpkin spice is a fake and a lie.

Apple cider is also wonderful in both the cold and warm varieties. Want to sit cozy near a fire? Warm up some apple cider and put a cinnamon stick in the mug. Still that time of fall where it is warm, but you are craving the taste of fall? Go buy a cold jug of apple cider.

Yeah, pumpkin spice can be served cold, but it gets gross when it sits out too long. The vibes are completely off, and it is not fun.

Apple cider deserves more respect and needs to be sold in way more coffee shops. That’s the other thing- for an actually good pumpkin spice, you have to go to a coffee shop. You can not buy it the same way in a grocery store that you can with apple cider. It is also way too overpriced, unlike the wholesome cider.

I am not trying to diss all of the pumpkin spice addicts, at least not seriously. I am just saying it is not fair that apple cider is thrown into the shadows when it is such a beautiful beverage. I would even argue that it is better than hot cocoa, but that is a story for another day.

So, if you are not totally insane, go grab some apple cider and live the way it is meant to be lived.

A double Major in Communications Media and Journalism, passion for radio and for art