Amanda Petrunak: There’s No Place…Like the Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

I have often heard the question, “So what are you going to do with an English Major?”  Well, I have some options after graduation.  I am in the process of applying for several jobs.  I will be graduating with a BA in English, a BSED in English, a BA in Spanish, and a minor in History.  As of right now, I would like to go into editing and publishing, but teaching is also an option for me. I also want to have my own store with a set of employees to help me run my own jewelry company. I love to be creative with my writing and the jewelry I make.   

Who says you can’t go after everything you want?

Never limit yourself; that is my best piece of advice.  If someone tells you, you can’t do something; go after it ten times harder. Never let anyone crush your dreams. Work for everything you want, and remember the things you are afraid of are usually the most worthwhile. 

I have to say that HerCampus has allowed me to express my creativity and enjoy writing, which has pushed me closer and closer to the thought of writing my own book. I am quite thankful for this great organization, and I will truly miss it.  I will miss a lot of great times at IUP.  I will miss my Java City pick me ups, my retail shopping therapy whenever I encounter a bad day, those professors who treat me like a member of their family, the randomness of the Oak Grove, and most importantly all of the great lessons I have learned in the classroom that I will carry with me for life. 

I can still hear certain professors echoing in my thoughts each and every day. 

The quote that sticks in my mind right now, like a permanent post it note attached to my brain is a quote from one of my English professors, Dr. Alvine. 

“The one who is asking the most questions, is the one who is doing the most learning.” 

Whenever in doubt, ask those questions on your mind.  You never know where those questions might get you in life. Everything in my life may not be set in stone for me, but I have a pair of nice , shiny red flats, and if I click my heels together I may just find my new yellow brick road to the future.