jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jazmin quaynor RBtPAOgHxuI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Advice from a Girl: “My boyfriend comments that I look slutty, but I’m just trying to be sexy.”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

“My boyfriend says I am dressing slutty, but I’m just trying to be sexy.”

Although I hate labeling someone as being “slutty” for their clothing choices, there are appropriate and inappropriate times for everything, including certain attire. If you are going out to eat, visiting family, meeting his friends for the first time, or any formal occasion, it is a good idea to try to dress on the modest side. This isn’t to say that you can’t dress up and be absolutely gorgeous, but think of it more like high school yearbook photo gorgeous rather than “sexy time” gorgeous. If you want to wear a skirt, make sure you can’t see anything that boy-brief underwear wouldn’t cover; if you want to wear a low cut shirt, consider wearing a lacey undershirt to make it less revealing, while still being attractive.

If your boyfriend or “boy friend” if suggesting that you are dressing “slutty” when going out on Friday or Saturday nights, there are various things that could be going on. One possibility is that he is insecure. Either he does not have enough self-confidence to think that he can keep a catch like you, or he does not have enough faith in your relationship to think that you won’t cheat on him. Either way, what he needs in this case is reassurance. This being said, it is important not to bring up that he may be insecure while doing this; you will most likely get a strong denial and he will be closed off to whatever else you are saying. Another possibility is that you and he just have different view on what is appropriate. This is something that you would have to talk about to determine if you have deeper moral differences or if it is something shallow that can be worked through. If your sense of fashion is a key part of your self-identity and he isn’t willing to work with that, then you may want to consider finding someone that is more on the same page as you concerning this particular topic.

No matter what the problem, it is important to talk to your significant other about what’s going on, while making sure to keep an open mind and avoid becoming defensive. 

Shannon is a psychology major and sociology minor at Indiana University of Pennsylvania with special interests in the areas of emotion and interpersonal relationships. If you have any topic ideas or questions dealing with dating, relationships of any kind or parts of articles, feel free to leave a comment or contact her privately through the site!