Life > Experiences

A Review on “Passion, Purpose, and the Pursuit of Happiness”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Mentor and friend of mine, “Gio” Negron-Garcia has an impressive and inspiring story. One that would make you think, “man, you should really write a book about that!” Gio, a passionate public speaker, and life coach did exactly just that.

Gio and I met through IUP’s Latino Student Organization, of which he is co-advisor. Born to Puerto Rican parents in Reading, Pennsylvania- a city marked by its high poverty rates and violence- Gio “defeated the odds” that were set against him. Through reading his story, however, you will quickly realize that Gio was not a product of luck, but hard work and determination.

After reading his newly self-published book, “Passion, Purpose, and the Pursuit of Happiness,” I was left feeling refreshed and eager to achieve my goals, with a clear map of how to go about doing so. Here are a few of the takeaways I gathered from Gio’s work.

Gio details the importance of self-reflection, and it is clear that he used this as an important tool in achieving the goals he set for himself. This is something I have struggled with yet have grown to realize its importance. Through looking back and reflecting on our progress, actions, and relationships, we can see what is truly working and what is not in our lives. It can be hard to look at ourselves critically, but there is a fine line between being critical to better ourselves and self-loathing.

A clear picture of how to start the process of chasing one’s dreams is captured. This begins with discovering one’s passion, identifying one’s purpose, and aiming for happiness as the center of success. Gio explains that this process is not easy. In fact, it is expected to face setbacks and negative opinions. However, Gio explains, one’s passion and purpose will guide them and nothing will allow that fire to fully extinguish.

Gio also details the fact that we are all blessed with unique gifts that look different to everyone. To Gio, this is “helping underprivileged professionals achieve their goals and dreams based on their career aspirations” through public speaking and life coaching. This made me realize the importance of celebrating our individualism by recognizing that everyone is gifted, but that one’s talents do not look like another’s.

Other lessons I learned from Gio’s wise words include the importance of remaining humble, remaining independent (and not needing outside validation), prioritizing oneself and one’s happiness, and the importance of support within relationships. These were among many wise words that spoke to me. 

Gio’s passion for helping others as well as bettering himself is inspiring for such a young professional. I am thankful for and motivated by Gio’s vulnerability in sharing his experiences. To discover Gio’s story and “claim your glory,” visit:

Tatiana Cleffi is a writer for the Her Campus chapter at Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP,) who enjoys writing about her personal experiences, particularly in regards to her Latin culture. She is a senior nursing student who is eager to graduate in December 2023. Tatiana is passionate about bridging the language gap in the healthcare setting. She studied medical Spanish abroad to become better equipped to provide nursing care to a diverse range of patients. In her free time, Tatiana enjoys visiting her husband in Costa Rica, going to the beach, singing on the worship team at her church, and eating pumpkin pie.