This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

With the colder months coming it can be hard to plan exciting date nights. Especially for the outdoorsy people, the snow and cold is less than ideal. There are still plenty of cute Insta worthy dates that can be done this winter, whether with your best girl friends or with your S/O.

play date in the snow

Go outside anyway, because you know what they say; if you can’t beat them, join them! You can build a snowman, a fort, make snow angels, have a snowball fight, go sledding, there are so many possibilities. Sometimes it’s nice to take a break and let your playful side out. Of course you can come back inside whenever it gets too cold and have some hot chocolate!

A pro tip is to take freshly fallen snow, untouched (taking the first layer, and not digging too deep is key) scoop that in a bowl or in cups and add your favorite pop or juice to make some cheap DIY snow cones!

Gingerbread house competition

Nothing says the holidays like making gingerbread houses. Add a little spin by each making your own gingerbread house and see who’s the better builder! Take a picture and put it on your Instagram story with a poll and let your followers decide. The winner could decide what to eat for dinner or get to pick the movie to watch or whatever you want the prize to be, the real prize is that now you can eat gingerbread!

A christmas Light Drive

Take a drive around your area and look at some Christmas lights. There are places that do light displays for the public to enjoy, some are free and some charge a little bit. If you can’t find one you can always just drive around and look at people’s displays at their houses. To make it even more merry, blast some Christmas tunes and have a concert while you look!

Bake and decorate cookies

Besides the fact that after your done, there are cookies you can eat, this date is a tried and true method to have a good time. Plus it’s an easy way to tell if you and your S/O get along and work well together in the kitchen. You can make any kind of cookies really, but sugar cookies are the easiest to cut out and decorate. All you need is a simple recipe, some frosting and piping bags. If you don’t have piping bags, you can put the frosting in a sandwich bag and cut one of the corners of the bag off. For best results listen to some festive music or watch a holiday movie while you bake and decorate.

Ice Skating

There are many places to ice skate, outdoor or indoor. (For my IUP people there is a relatively cheap outdoor ice rink in Pittsburgh near Market Square for the winter months!) It’s a fun way to get out of the house for awhile, and it’s the perfect excuse to hold your S/O’s hand. It’s always a good idea to get a group together and coffee or hot chocolate after is a must.

Hot Chocolate and a movie

If you just want to have a cozy night in, hot chocolate and a movie is the way to go. Bonus points if you make a cozy living room fort first. You can have fun snacks, drinks or whatever you want to make it fun for you! Matching pajamas are recommended but not required. Pick a favorite movie or one you’ve never seen and get cozy!

candle making

This has been on my list of date ideas for awhile! There are many places called Candle Bars you can go to make your own unique candle. It gets you out of the house but also out of the cold, and at the end you get a little keep sake that can make your whole house smell good! Once again for my IUP people there is one right on Philadelphia street, called the Philly Street Candle Bar. It’s definitely worth checking out!

Grace Fette is a chapter leader at the HerCampus at IUP chapter. She loves to write lists, zodiac posts, and personal experiences. Grace is a Junior at IUP. She's an English Writing studies major with Women and Gender studies and Communications media minors. She is president of Sigma Tau Delta English Honors Society Xi Xi chapter and her work has been published a number of times. She loves to hang out with friends and her sister, hike, and read poetry. She is always up for coffee, cute breakfast places, and concerts of any kind!