This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

This year started out really well and I couldn’t imagine it being any different, but considering the state the world is in right now, I’ve had to learn to adapt. Learning has changed and my day to day has been flipped on its head. These are some things that 2020 has taught me so far. It hasn’t been easy, but a lot has happened in a short amount of time.

You Can’t Get Upset Over Ruined Plans

Since the start of COVID-19’s spread across the United States, I’ve had to cancel a lot of things- dance performances, plans with friends on campus, events with clubs and even birthday plans. While part of me wants to sit around and cry because I can’t even see my best friend on our biggest birthday celebration until we’re 40, negativity is only going to make this harder. The one thing that has been keeping me from hiding in my room and crying is keeping my brain occupied with other things such as school work, video games, writing and most importantly, getting outside. Now that the weather has gotten a little better, it’s easy just to get out and breathe some fresh air. 

Transitioning From Dorm Life to Home Life is Harder Than it Seems.

Going from living with one other person to three is very aggravating, to say the least. Now that I’m home, my mom’s boyfriend lives with us and it makes living a lot less comfortable for me. Plus, adapting to a new schedule is difficult. When I was at school, I would usually eat dinner at about 9 p.m. because that’s when I would get out of dance practice, but now it’s not acceptable to eat after 8 because that is the rule. It also seems like I’ve been turned into a high school student again, where I’m being told: “I shouldn’t have my phone on me while I’m doing homework because it’s distracting.” 

Technology is the Greatest Invention

Of course, most people already know how great it is to have the technology, but I’ve never been so glad. College students are now having classes online and if we weren’t blessed with the technology we have, we would have to make up a whole semester. Plus being under a quarantine means you should be out seeing friends, If I didn’t have my phone, I wouldn’t be able to talk to my friends or other family members I don’t live with. Technology has made living in a scary world a little less scary. 

It’s Amazing What Boredom Will Make You Do

I am usually okay with sitting around and doing nothing, but this is my third week of doing so and it’s driving me insane. I’ve cleaned my room, painted four paintings and swept rocks off the alley in the past four days. Sitting at home is harder than I thought it would be. I’ve even gotten sick of watching Tik Toks, and I’ve never gotten that bored. I’ve scoured Pinterest looking for something to do.

Enjoy the Little Things

Even if it’s just sitting at home watching Breaking Bad or getting a good tip while at work, I have found joy in the tiniest things. I get happy when I find a shiny quarter on my bedroom floor or listen to a good song. There has been a lot on my mind and finding something small to get excited about makes the day go by a little easier. 

Brooke is an English education major at IUP and plans to graduate in spring 2022. Alongside Her Campus, she has also performed with the IUP Dance Theater and is part of the Kappa Delta Pi honors society and the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE).