This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Welcome back besties! It’s the start of another amazing semester. I promise this time we’re going to crush it! Although I know I say that every semester, and then about halfway through I start to crash and burn. But last fall, I had one of the best semesters yet, and I’m going to share with you the things I do to stay on track.  

noise-canceling headphones

The first thing you’re going to need is noise-canceling headphones. Whether they’re the super expensive Apple AirPod Max (slay), or a cheap pair from Walmart because that’s all you can afford (also a slay) either will do. The reality is colleges can be really noisy, and that can cause you to become distracted from your work or prevent you from being productive. The noise can stem from loud roommates and neighbors or just outside traffic if you go to college in a busy city. Having noise-canceling headphones may not completely drown out the noise, but it will definitely help reduce how much you hear. Having them right within your reach will only benefit you, I promise.  

planner

I swear, planners are the key to my success. I have 4 different kinds. You don’t need that many, so feel free to pick and choose which ones will help you the most. You can find these almost anywhere, and some notebooks can be used for more than one purpose. The first is my weekly agenda. Every Sunday night I write out my entire week schedule from sun up to sundown. I write in all my class times, club meetings, and even when I go to lunch. This is super helpful because it helps me prepare mentally for the week and get a basic understanding of how the time will flow. The second thing I do is right down everything my classes are covering for the week on a piece of paper. This helps me have a basic understanding of what we’ll be covering in class. This way, I am never caught off guard when going into class. The third thing I do is write down every single assignment I have to complete for class on a master homework planning sheet. I even write down the chapters I have to read. It is also important to write down the due dates to stay on track. When I complete the assignments, I highlight them in a pretty color for the aesthetic, plus it makes me feel productive! The last planner I have is a Rocketbook. A Rocketbook is a reusable notebook that comes with different style pages that you can scan and keep on your electronic devices. They also come in different sizes. In this planner, I write down what assignments and readings I will complete each day. This way I have some form of a schedule to help keep me on track. Spreading my assignments out over the course of the week really helps me because it helps reduce stress when thinking about them. Then the day I’m completing the assignments, I cross them out when I’m done. Again, this helps keep me on track and makes me feel productive.  

Keep Weekends Free 

I know a lot of us have a tremendous workload, but it is important to keep most of your weekend free and open. If you load it up with homework you didn’t feel like completing during the week, your body and mind won’t have any way to rest and recharge. Seriously, take my advice and give yourself a break! I love having the opportunity to do whatever I please on the weekends because I don’t have fifty assignments to worry about. So set aside the time for some much-needed self-care. Whether that’s binging a show, watching a new movie, or doing a face mask, just do it!  

Stretch In the Morning

I know this sounds silly, but having a good stretch in the morning can really help jump-start your day. I love finding a good video on YouTube and following along in the comfort of my dorm. You can even do this in your pajamas! You don’t have to be super flexible, or even want to be flexible. If you do this every morning, trust me, you will see a difference. Your mood may improve, as well as your flexibility! Having a better attitude about the day will help keep productive energy.  

Kayla Delaney is the President at the Her Campus at IUP chapter. She oversees all chapter and campus events, as well as publication of all articles. At IUP, Kayla is studying Hotel, Restaurant, Tourism, and Event Management with a focus in events and weddings. She is a junior due to graduate in the Spring of 2025, and has completed an internship at a wedding venue called Armstrong Farms. In her free time, Kayla enjoys painting and crafting, both of which inspire her best articles, and going on walks with her boyfriend. She also loves all forms of rock music and is a frequent concert-goer.