Life > Experiences

3 Ways to Make Friends in College: Covid-19 Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Starting college all on your own is hard enough as it is and making friends can feel daunting. Try doing both in the midst of a pandemic!

We all know that the past months have been a rollercoaster with no end in sight- senior year was cut short, graduation parties were canceled, and senior trips were thrown out the window. Now, moving into your college dorm feels like moving into an isolation cell. Many classes are completely online and those that meet in person distance you away from other students. Even fun campus activities have been limited to a certain number of people and Zoom. This has made it significantly harder for everyone to meet new people and make friends. You are not alone! So, how can you make friends despite the many restrictions in place?  

Participate in campus activities- no matter how small!

You never know who you’ll run into or who you might click with! Taking a chance on college activities gets you out of your dorm and around other students who are looking for friends, too. Even if the activity is on Zoom, take it as the chance for dropping your Snapchat into the group chat and make friends there.

Don’t be afraid to start a conversation.

One of the biggest aspects of college is stepping out of your comfort zone- this includes making friends. If you have a class with someone you recognize from your hall, don’t hesitate to reach out. There’s a good chance they’ve noticed you too. 

Have an open mind.

In college, you will meet people from all over, unlike anyone you have met before. Don’t allow sterotypes and assumptions to stop you from getting to know people; if this pandemic has taught us anything, it’s that we’re all in this together.

Good luck with your friend search and remember that you are not alone

Madison is a nursing major with a drive to make a positive impact on others. As head CC, Madison collaborates with her co-CC to make the IUP chapter fun, welcoming, and creative! Her Campus has opened the door for opportunity and friendship for Madison that she hopes to share with others.