Life > Academics

3 Tips for Having Free Time as a Busy College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

As college students, it can be extremely hard for us to have any time to ourselves. Because we’re constantly studying and focusing on school/work, it often feels like we have no free time left for relaxing and doing what we enjoy. It can be hard to balance everything without feeling overwhelmed.  I certainly experience this on a near-daily basis. (This week alone I have 12 assignments due.) However, for the past few weeks, I have been challenging myself to set aside more time to do what I enjoy. Here are some tips I’ve discovered to help make things easier.

#1. Make a daily outline

One of my worst habits is that I tend to go about my day without much of a plan. I know what I need to get done, but I don’t have a set schedule for doing it. This can make simple things take a lot longer than necessary and I find myself without much time to spare at the end of the day. So for me, making a detailed plan for my day has helped me have more time for doing what I want. I outline what I need to get done and give myself adequate time in my day to do it. Keep in mind that it’s important to make sure that you’re giving yourself enough time. Rushing to stay on schedule will just add to the stress. I also set alarms so that I can get back to being productive on time. I lose track of time pretty easily, so as a precaution, I use alarms to keep myself on track. 

#2. small things count too

When I think of doing things to relax, I usually think of lengthy activities such as reading a book or playing video games. (I play Hayday competitively with my brother and I take it VERY seriously.)  However, I’ve realized that the little things can make a huge difference. For example, doing skin care. Putting on a face mask at the end of a long day helps me feel better and it only takes a few minutes. Additionally, I can get things done at the same time. Typically I take this time to clean/organize my room.  I also love to take a quick break from studying by walking to the Dunkin’ near campus. I’m back within 20 minutes and I have a sweet treat to help me get through the day. 

#3. don’t stress over it

While this tip is brief, it’s also the most important. It can be nice to have time for yourself but keep in mind that some days are just too busy. I’ve found that if I focus too much on having extra time, it can make me more stressed instead. Let’s face it, college is super busy. Sometimes no amount of planning can give us the spare time we want. My goal is just to have a few hours a week that I can spend focusing on something other than academics. 

Destiny Cramer is a new member of Her Campus at IUP. Outside of Her Campus, Destiny is a sophomore studying biology at IUP. She is also minoring in religious studies and earning a certificate in bio risk management. She is hoping to expand her horizon by joining clubs and gaining new skills. In her free time, she loves binge reading books. She will read almost any genre but enjoys romance the most. She loves listening to music and has an interest in K-pop in particular. Her favorite groups include Stray Kids, Ateez, Monsta X, and Seventeen. She likes to watch the same movies/shows over and over again, with her favorite being Howl's Moving Castle. Destiny also enjoys learning new things, particularly by listening to the science podcast 'Ologies with Alie Ward.'