Take Care of Each Other, Hoosiers: Hoosier P.A.C.T

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

It’s with heavy hearts that the Hoosier community mourns the loss of IU freshman, Rachael Fiege. After reading about the incident on IDSNews.com, we couldn’t help but think that Rachael’s life could have been saved if she would have received proper medical attention sooner. Before we lose another member of our family, please take time to read about Hoosier P.A.C.T.

In 2002, Hoosier P.A.C.T (Proactive Alcohol Care Treatment) “was initiated and implemented on the Bloomington campus… to protect students and save lives.” According to the Indiana University Student Association, Hoosier P.A.C.T encourages students to seek medical attention in an alcohol or substance related emergency, without worrying about lawful consequences. This policy was put into place to help remove the fear and hesitation of calling for help when someone’s life is in danger.

We cannot stress enough how important it is that you know and understand the policy and procedures of Hoosier P.A.C.T. It could literally save someone’s life someday, including your own.

To read about Hoosier P.A.C.T in more detail (information, policy, guidelines, etc.) click here (or any of the above links).

Our thoughts are prayers are with Rachael Fiege’s family, friends, and anyone else who was affected by her tragic death. 

Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes