Summer Fun in Bloomington

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Ah, sweet summertime – when the IU campus is peaceful and more beautiful than ever. A time when one can go to the IMU Starbucks and retrieve their drink within two minutes. A time when one can get a table at the Runcible Spoon in less than ten minutes. A time when one can enter KOK without standing in a seemingly never-ending line.

Believe me, I love our huge campus as much as the next Hoosier. However, it is a different experience when things are less chaotic. If you are here for the summer and do not know what to do for fun, check out some of HCIU’s hot new ideas!

1. Soak up the sun at Griffy Lake
Rent a kayak or canoe from the boathouse – it is the perfect way to get a tan, work out, and have fun with your friends! You can rent a boat for $7/hour, or bring your own for $6/day. If you are feeling really adventurous, there are also four different hiking trails in the woodlands that surround the lake. Griffy Lake is located at 3300 N. Headley Road.

2. Experience the Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market
Pick up some fresh, locally grown ingredients for those recipes you found on Pinterest! The Bloomington farmers’ market is a great place to start your Saturday morning. Live musicians, local restaurants, and venders are set up along Morton St. (next to City Hall) every Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Heads up—if you stay later, some venders might offer you lower pricess!)

3. Tour Oliver Winery, the largest winery in Indiana
Spend the day exploring the vineyard and tasting some of Oliver’s best wines—do you need more convincing? On weekends, Oliver hosts special events, like live music and local restaurant showcases. Check their website (www.oliverwinery.com) for more details!

4. Take a trip to French Lick, IN
Do some gambling at the French Lick Casino or visit the Big Splash Adventure waterpark! The casino has more than 1,200 slot machines and 38 table games, while the historic resort offers many outdoor activities such as hiking and mountain biking. The French Lick Casino and Big Splash waterpark is located only 1.5 hours away from Bloomington, IN.

5. Kilroy’s Sports beach parties
Are you twenty-one or older and missing the sandy beaches of your hometown? Sports is there for you! The bar often hosts beach parties complete with water slides, beach chairs, sand, and plenty of fruity drinks to help trick you in to thinking you are on a sandy beach somewhere!

There is always something to do in this town. Check out the Bloomington calendar for events happening this summer! http://www.visitbloomington.com/things-to-do/events/ 

Rachel Kaplan is currently a Junior at Indiana University. She is an active writer and Campus Correspondent for the IU Chapter of Her Campus. Rachel is majoring in Journalism with a double minor in Art History and Studio Art. While originally from Philadelphia, she hopes to move to New York City after graduation and pursue a career in Public Relations. Often found in Starbucks, Rachel loves to sip on her iced coffee while she writes, edits, and brainstorms articles for HCIU. Rachel is a proud sister of Alpha Epsilon Phi and is looking forward to living in the Phi house next year. She loves tennis, writing, OPI nail polish, the Hoosiers, gummy bears, and spending time with her family and friends.Follow Rachel on twitter: @_rachelkaplan & @HerCampusIU