2. What is your role on Hamilton’s campaign?
I’m director of New Media, which means I make all our videos, take all the photos and generally plan strategy for our web and media content.
(Editor’s Note: Tom shot and edited this commercial for John Hamilton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98iAl1YB5mA
3. How long did it take you to make the commercial? How did that opportunity come about? What is it like to see your commercial on TV? Have you had experience in doing things like this before?
I shot the commercial in about four hours and edited it together for a few hours over the course of about two days. All in all, it probably took 10 total hours to work on. I got the opportunity because we needed a commercial (laughs) so it was pretty much make it happen or we don’t have one. I’ve had lots of experience doing video, but shooting for a TV commercial was different. It was pretty great seeing it on TV, I actually didn’t realize it was mine at first. I freaked out a little bit when I noticed it. It’s getting shown a bunch of times every day so it’s really awesome to know that my work is getting seen by a wide audience.
4. You’re originally from Fort Wayne, Ind. Why did you decide to get involved with Bloomington politics?
If I was in Fort Wayne I would be working in politics there. I like doing something that’s active and positive, and I happen to be in Bloomington so I’d rather get involved than not.
5. Do you think students forget that Bloomington is more than IU?
I think a lot of students exist in there bubble, I know I definitely do. That’s part of what I’m trying to do with a commercial and web videos is reach out to potential voters in a really passive way that’s kind of fun. A video or a photo is a good way to pique someone’s interest without getting in their face about it.
6. How will your work in this campaign help you out with your future goals?
I’m doing some political work this summer and hopefully I’ll have the opportunity to continue to hone my multimedia storytelling skills. Having great videos and a TV commercial in my portfolio is already helping me out. I’d like to own my own media firm someday, I guess that’s the dream job!