Stay Warm This Chilly Winter With Utilitarian Chic!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Utilitarian chic is the perfect look winter on campus this year. It’s practical yet fashionable—bundle up and stay warm while also looking stylish and keeping things simple. Here are some ideas to update your outfits with this practical style.

Tops: Look for flannel, particularly classic plaid! Steal one from your guy for this cozy and adorable look. Also keep an eye out for denim tops and jackets. Just make sure you don’t pair them with similar-looking jeans, to avoid the “Canadian tuxedo” look! American Eagle Outfitters is a great place to shop for these pieces.

Pants: Cargo pants are the epitome of utilitarian. Make sure you update them by wearing a super-skinny fit!  Lots of pockets are a must. Also consider boyfriend-style jeans and retro menswear-inspired corduroy.  Colors to look out for: greens, beiges, browns, and khakis. Say goodbye to your everyday blue jeans!

Outerwear: In this weather, jackets and coats are essential. Instead of covering up your outfit when you go outside, incorporate outerwear into your style! Vests have seen a good showing this season, whether puffy and quilted or covered in fur. Leather jackets are also forever on trend. Make sure you get faux fur and leather for a cheaper and kinder alternative! A great place to shop for outerwear of this kind is J. Crew.

Shoes: This year, try something a little different from those ubiquitous Uggs! Kick your style up a notch with military style lace-up boots. Whether canvas or leather, it’s the details that matter. Look for lots of laces, buckles, and grommets! Check out Sperry Topsider’s winter collection for some good options.

Bags: Replace your basic purse with these more stylish, old-fashioned options. Satchels are making a comeback, and they can be carried with the handle or worn cross-body with the longer strap. Small backpacks are also a good option for replacing a purse. Look for leather, canvas, and lots of buckles! Thrift stores and vintage shops are great places to search for a classic bag.

Accessories: When it comes to jewelry, remember: less is more! A menswear-style watch is a definite must. If you can steal an old one from your boyfriend or dad, even better! Cuff bracelets are also a good choice: mix your metals and go for studded leather and chains. Fossil is an excellent store for this. Cold-weather accessories are mandatory, of course! Go for chunky knit scarves and faux fur hats with earflaps. Remember: utilitarian chic is practical, simple, but classic and stylish!

(Image was created by Mackenzie Conner on polyvore.com)

Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes