Spring Trend: Earning Your Stripes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Ever since Miley Cyrus flaunted her black and white vertically-striped pants on Instagram, we’re all secretly (or not-so-secretly!) dying to get our hands on a pair.  Thankfully, stripes of all kinds are at the top of the list for this spring’s most sought-out trends.  No matter how you wear them … vertical, horizontal, or diagonal, stripes are simply unavoidable in 2013.  Here are some super fun ways to earn your stripes this season while giving your drab winter wardrobe that extra flare you’re craving!

• Striped Jeans –  If you’re looking for a way to elongate your legs and make them appear more slim, striped jeans will become your best friend.  The vertical stripes draw attention to the length of legs instead of the width, and what girl doesn’t love an article of clothing that makes us look thinner?  These fabulous bottoms are making their way into stores everywhere.  We love these high-waisted striped jeans from H&M!  Don’t hesitate and buy yourself a pair ASAP!

• Striped Sunglasses – Spring Break is quickly approaching, so why not one-up all of your BFF’s with these amazing Dior striped sunnies!  If you are a bit skeptical about pulling off stripes, sunglasses are a great way to incorporate the trend without going overboard.  Don’t want to spend a lot of money?  No problem!  Visit fredflare.com and fall in love with stylish striped sunglasses at a reasonable price.  

• Striped Handbags – Another great way to introduce stripes into your perfect spring wardrobe is with a handbag.  Try breaking away from the typical red or black stripes and go for a pop of blues or greens!  This bag is the perfect accessory to any spring or summer ensemble, and is just the right size for holding your cell phone, credit cards, and favorite shade of lipgloss.  
  • For the IU Student…Candy Stripes! – IU Basketball fans will be happy to know that the famous candy stripes are more avant-garde than we give them credit for.  The number 1 team in the Big 10 has been sporting their stripes for years now!  If you aren’t feeling bold enough to strut your stuff in black and white striped jeans, the least you can do is show your support for your favorite basketball team while being in style at the same time.  Candy striped pants are a necessity for any IU student or devoted fan.  Be a sports lover and a fashionista!

You definitely won’t want to miss out on this fashion trend, so be sure to earn your stripes this spring and have fun with it!