Museum of Sex: More Than a Boob Bouncy House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

The fast-paced city of New York is known around the world for its elite shopping, Broadway, famous food, and non-stop lifestyle. However, something that it is not known for is its explicit Museum of Sex. This past weekend, I traveled to New York City to meet my mom for my 20th birthday. The one thing that we did that really sticks out in my mind (and my camera roll) was the Museum of Sex. Some of you may know it as the place with the “boob bouncy house,” but it is so much more. Walking around in the museum is pretty interesting after you get over the initial discomfort.

Here are a few of the exhibits that stuck out to me… 

The Sex Lives of Animals

This exhibit featured videos, images, statues and sounds of different animals getting it on. When you walk in, you see a deer orgy and a chimpanzee with a boner, all while listening to the peaceful sounds of pandas achieve the “Big O.”

Although it was very difficult to keep a serious face in this room, the various uncensored panels of information about masturbation, sexual orientation, sex drive and reproduction were very educational.  

Hardcore: A Century and a Half of Obscene Imagery

This exhibit was the most visual of the rooms. From sex toys to orgies and porn, this room shared endless information and images of the hardcore sex that our world has to offer. The most shocking exhibit was the “glory hole door.”

Said to be the last glory holes used in Manhattan, this door shows how active and crude public sex life was. This room featured pictures of women masturbating, oral sex, and other explicit content that I never thought I’d see first-hand.

If you’re interested in seeing more of this, the museum recommends watching the movie “Deep Throat.” This movie caused an uproar during the 1970’s (The Golden Age of Porn) and was Linda Lovelace’s claim to fame.

ObjectXXX: Selected Artifacts From the Museum of Sex Archive

This room had a lot of props to say the least. From dildos to dolls and gags, this exhibit shows you every possible toy for masturbation and foreplay. Even though this room displays many sex toys, it does not lack in extensive research about how they are used and why.

In conclusion, everything you need to know about intercourse, masturbation, the art of sex, and the variety of ways you can do it can be found at the Museum of Sex. Next time you visit New York City, see for yourself!

*NSFW