Made in the AM Album Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

On November 17th, 2014, I discovered what would soon become a new obsession. For those of you who don’t know me it may be difficult to guess. However, for those of you who do, the answer is obvious. I’m clearly talking about One Direction, the greatest boy band of the century.

I accidently stumbled upon their fourth album last year and I actually really liked it, which came as a surprise considering I wasn’t a 13 year-old girl. But somehow these five British dreamboats “Stole My Heart” and I was hooked. I fell head first die hard in love with One Direction. There was “No Control”-ling it.

Unfortunately for me, I hopped on the One Direction bandwagon three years too late because shortly thereafter, the group’s future together grew alarmingly uncertain. The fivesome became a foursome, Zayn went solo, and Louis pulled off the most regrettable one-night stand since the conception of Justin Bieber.

It wasn’t long until they announced they’d be taking an extended hiatus (yes, I’m still calling it a hiatus) to pursue individual projects. Disappointing for some, soul-crushing for passionate Directioners like myself.

On the bright side, One Direction is leaving behind a great parting gift before their break. The band’s fifth album Made in the AM dropped today and it’s easily their best to date. I’m not exaggerating when I say I danced around my room for hours listening to each and every song. From epic power ballads like “Love You Goodbye” to sexy sing-alongs like “Temporary Fix”, Made in the AM establishes a refreshing and musically mature sound for the 1D boys. I am so excited to say this album does not disappoint. It will absolutely cure the One Direction blues we’ve been feeling all year.

1. Hey Angel. A powerful way to kick off the album, “Hey Angel” is electrifying, exciting, and the type of pop anthem that One Direction is known for. It’s almost like “Clouds” on sterioids. This feel-good track echoes lyrics like “Yeah I see you at the bar, at the edge of my bed. Backseat of my car, in the back of my head.” *Screams and dies internally* Their maturity is palpable.

2. Drag Me Down. Their first single without Zayn proved that the remaining members of the group could get the job done. This song was a great way to introduce their new sound and a great way to reassure fans that nothing would drag them down. Also Harry’s high notes at the end literally give me life.

3. Perfect. This definitely sounds like an old school One Direction track, but this time with added sexual references and cheeky innuendos. Harry co-wrote this song and threw in a few not-so-subtle lines alluding to Taylor Swift, “If you’re looking for someone to write your breakup songs about, baby I’m perfect.” Ouch.

4. Infinity. The first thing I thought of when I heard this song was how much it reminded me of Coldplay. This heavy based, echoey love ballad is one like no other. That chorus, “How many nights does it take to count the stars? That’s the time it would take to fix my heart,” oh my god, it kills me.

5. End of the Day. This one confuses me in the best way possible. I feel like the verses don’t really match up with the chorus so it’s a little difficult to follow. Nonetheless, this song is still awesome and stuck in my head. Plus Louis’ voice is nicely showcased at the end. A baby and a high note. Kudos to you dude.

6. If I Could Fly. This song immediately had me in tears. Understated and simple, this piano-backed track exhibits their excellent harmonizing skills in the most beautiful way ever. “If I Could Fly” brings a new sense of sophistication to their slower ballads. It blows away every One Direction love song of the past. Definitely a top five favorite.

7. Long Way Down. This song suggests a simple message. It basically talks about regret over a failed relationship, “We made a fire went down in flames. We sailed the ocean and drowned in the waves.” It was co-written by Louis, so maybe this offers some insight into what happened with his ex Eleanor Calder? Maybe the broad metaphors are simpler ways of putting “Sorry I slept with another woman and am now fathering her child.”

8. Never Enough. This one just makes me wanna dance. I literally cannot stop singing the words, it’s so catchy. The trumpets, the screaming, the 80s rock-feel, this song hits all the right notes. And it’s also pretty obvious that “Never Enough” draws inspiration from Pitch Perfect Treblemaker acapella.

9. Olivia. It’s times like right now that I wish my mom caved and named me Olivia like my dad wanted. Because then 20 years later a cute British boy band would write a song about me declaring their undying love and affection. But here we are today and unfortunately that’s not the case. “Olivia” is the new and improved version of Midnight Memories’ “Diana”. I imagine this song playing in a rom-com where the two main characters just figured out they should be together. And then the movie ends with them frolicking through Central Park on a warm summer day.

10. What a Feeling. This 70s-inspired track continues to diversify the album. It’s the kind of song that makes you almost instinctly need to move your shoulders. With its smooth-sounding, easygoing beats, “What a Feeling” really demonstrates a different sound from the boys. And I’m 100% into it.

11. Love You Goodbye. This song is by far their most mature on the whole album. It’s a dramatic breakup song that’ll leave you weak in the knees and in the heart. This track is powerful, vulnerable, relatable, and really captures the post-heartbreak pain. Grab a Kleenex, this one’s a tear-jerker and in my top five for sure.

12. I Want to Write You a Song. Okay if you don’t totally see the similarity between them and the Beatles in this song then you’re CRAZY. This mellow acoustic track reminds me so much of “Blackbird” and every other love song the Beatles have done. “I Want to Write You a Song” is short and sweet with a simple meassage explaining how a guy would go to any lengths for his girl. Or in other words, this song basically melts my heart and gives me unrealistic expectations about boys. Also major props to Louis, I was really impressed with how good he sounds here. This one is definitely in my top five.

13. History. I instantly imagine myself sitting around a campfire when I hear this song. It’s a happy-go-lucky, folk-inspired tune that speaks to the fans. History tells the story of One Direction utilizing handclaps, catchy lyrics, and the strum of Niall’s guitar. It’s basically proof that One Direction will live on forever.

14. Temporary Fix. There aren’t enough words to describe my feelings about this song. It’s pretty obvious to assume what it’s about, “You can call me when you feel like I’m your good time I’ll be you temporary fix.” Yes, please give me more. This song is HOT and the 1D boys prove they are all grown up. Another one added to my top five.

15. Walking in the Wind. This one for some reason reminds me of a mixture of “Story of My Life” and “Through the Dark.” Both of which are two of my favorite 1D songs of all time. This easy, uplifting song is perfect to change any mood for the better. It’s defintely the one I’m going to have on replay in my car for months to come.

16. Wolves. At first I feel like I’m listening to a song off the Hairspray soundtrack. But then I hear the sound of Harry’s sweet, sweet voice and it brings me back. Something about this song is absolutely adorable. I’m not sure what it is, but I love it and I need more.

17. AM. This is 100% their encore track. I can just picture them coming out and singing this one at the end of a long night. This song is basically about how the entire album came together. Most of the songs were written late at night, with the boys just hanging around and goofing off early into the “AM”. This is obviously my favorite on the entire album. They’ve truly saved the best for last.

After hearing Made in the AM, it’s unimaginable to think that it could be One Direction’s last album together as a group. I am madly in love with every word of every line of every song. There’s not a thing I would change. My obsession has officially sky-rocketed off the charts of normalcy. The only thing left to do is pray that our boys band together once more to create beautiful music. I mean take a look at The Rolling Stones or The Beatles. They took a few years off and I’m pretty sure they’re doing alright. Wishful thinking, Directioners. This is not the end. Let’s be honest, at the “End of the Day” five years of One Direction is simply “Never Enough”.

Title Image Credit*