This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Although I love shopping as much as the next girl, it’s a horror show. I can look at anything on a rack or a model and tell you flat out, “Sorry, that isn’t going to work.”

This uncanny ability is due to my unique shape. I have been given two things that on some days are a curse and on others are a blessing. I have been given the bizarre combination of an almost 5-foot-1 frame and a DDD-sized chest. In my opinion, the larger chest is the reason I’m short. Blame gravity.

With such a large chest and such a small body there is no escaping the comments thrown my way. “How are you so short with such BIG BOOBS!?” or “How do you even stand up?” are the common ones. I even get the midget jokes. I get called pint-sized, fun-sized, and pocket-sized. It gets old and believe me I’ve heard them all. The best joke of all time has been, “If there was a nuclear holocaust your boobs would survive with the cockroaches.”

I categorize the comments into two categories. The first being jokes from a friend made with love. They know their limits and they know mine. The second being jokes from a stranger or someone I just met. I don’t know you and now I really just don’t want to. Comments from a stranger are just not ok and get me upset and angry.

Knowing that I constantly receive comments and unwanted attention from my chest people ask why I don’t hide them, but if you’ve seen me there is no hiding them. They will always be there and nothing works unless I wear a giant bag over my body. My daily uniform consists of a sweatshirt and a tank top. Anything but V-neck t-shirts or comfortable tank tops choke me and lead me to pulling at my collar all day long. People may think I try to show them off or should wear other forms of clothes to hide them, but let me apologize to the public now.

I’m sorry, but I will not hide my body and wear uncomfortable clothes so you can stop hating on the body that I have that you don’t. I understand that not every girl has a big chest, is almost 5-foot-1, and is still an extra small size. You are all still beautiful and I won’t make a comment that you’re like a giant standing next to me or say any of the mean things that I could say. So if I won’ t say them to you please refrain from saying them to me.

I love my chest. Its been with me since I was 14-years-old and it will never go away unless I go under the knife. It isn’t one of those chests that when you lose weight it shrinks. It is here to stay and I am proud of it. People pay for bigger breasts, and I will never have that problem.

There are no push-up bras or padding in my drawer only pretty bows and sexy lace. Throw out the misconception that all big bras look like the typical ugly enormous “granny bras” because you are wrong. There is a whole market of bras for those with larger then average chests. Now if only the clothing companies and bathing suit companies could get the hint. I don’t want to spend the same amount of money on a bikini that I could on a breast reduction.

Now onto my height … heels are my best friends. Don’t get me wrong, I have learned to embrace my height, but I still love the heels. In my opinion the taller the heel, the better the shoe. It is a little difficult to go out on the weekends without them. I tried that one night and found that no one realized I was there. I was getting stepped on left and right, and people had to bend down to talk to me. That isn’t exactly something I want to happen again so I continue to put on my favorite thing in the world, my heels.

You are probably thinking I wear high heels to hide my height. That is so far from the truth. On most nights when talking to people that towers over me in my heels, I will proceed to take one off and show them just how short I am. My height typically comes up in conversation, so naturally I’m not going to lie and will flat out tell them it’s all in the heels.

Hands down the best part of being short is that every guy is taller then me, even when I wear my tallest heels. I know many females that refuse to wear high heels if their guy is shorter then them. I have never experienced that problem before and I don’t think I ever will. Luckily for me, I will never have to retire the high heels. Also, I know for a fact I can hide in a locker in the HPER. I’m not sure when that will come in handy, but if it ever does I will let you know.

This may sound like I have been bragging a bit, but that is not my intentions. My intentions are to allow you to love your body as it is, and to not let anyone’s comments affect you. We are all different due to genetics and nothing is going to change that. A heel will give me height, but I will always be short.

Most things about your body are never going to change so instead of being miserable about them, embrace them. Love your body as you were born because you were born beautiful.

Alyssa Goldman is a junior at Indiana University majoring in journalism and gender studies. Alyssa aspires to be an editor at a women’s magazine writing about women’s issues and feminism. Alyssa has served as city & state editor and special publications editor for the Indiana Daily Student, IU’s award-winning student newspaper. She has also interned at Chicago Parent magazine, the IU Office of University Communications and Today’s Chicago Woman magazine. Currently, she is interning at Bloom, a city magazine in Bloomington, Ind., and loves being a Campus Correspondent for HC! In her spare time, Alyssa enjoys watching The Bad Girls Club, The Jersey Shore and The Real Housewives (of any city); listening to Lady Gaga; drinking decaf skinny vanilla soy lattes from Starbucks; reading magazines; and shopping and eating with her girls on IU’s infamous Kirkwood Avenue.